Finding an installer who is not a dealer or is willing to install a stove they did not sell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pwaggs

Aug 5, 2014
Washington DC
I am preparing for a new installation in Washington DC. We have very happily used our pre-existing, original construction, fireplace in our 1920's home for ambiance and have noted that we get great heat while it is burning. Energy audit was executed three years ago in conjunction with an AC replacement. AC was replaced with ductless mini-split units throughout the house (amazing by the way) but most importantly, the house was insulated properly (expanding foam is great stuff). The difference for the following winter was amazing. Rooms were now livable and the house could be enjoyed.

I want to install a wood burning stove insert simply because we use our fire so much, we may as well actually derive the most possible from the wood we are burning. The fireplace will also be far more economical than running the mini-splits on heat mode when it gets cold and more efficient than the backup boiler system that is still in place.

After a few months of lurking here, I have narrowed my decision down to the following inserts: Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 (Wife's vote for the contemporary looks) or the Blaze King Princess (My vote for the control over the burn). In my perfect world, both would be achievable with a Blaze King Chinook INSERT, alas it appears that the combination of contemporary looks and BK functionality/control is still not available.

My question is this. I am calling around in DC to installers and they all maintain that they only install stoves that they are dealers for. I keep calling sweeps and they point me to their Regency or other very nice lines, however, I have already narrowed my choice down (unless somebody here knows of a stove I have not given due diligence to), I just need it installed. The scope of the project is beyond my comfort level and time available for me to attack this as a DIY. I am willing to hire an expert for expert installation. However, I cannot find one. In particular for the PE unit. Blaze King does have a limited presence out here, but the PE is an enigma. I have emailed PE twice and received no response as to recommended installers in the area (maybe their response does not bode well for future customer service). I just do not want my decision made by installers not willing to install a unit that they have not sold. Am I missing something obvious here.

I have two installers coming in the next week to scope the project and original fireplace out before providing estimates. Both have offered Blaze King support with a no to the Pacific Energy models. The good news for you all is that they seem very, very busy and business appears good.

Did you look on the csia website? That is a good source for local sweeps. But other than that you are doing what you can. I find it hard to believe that it is that hard most sweeps i know will install what ever stove you have as long as it is safe. Now if it is not one they sold it will cost more but that is the way it goes we are the same.

Did you look on the csia website? That is a good source for local sweeps. But other than that you are doing what you can. I find it hard to believe that it is that hard most sweeps i know will install what ever stove you have as long as it is safe. Now if it is not one they sold it will cost more but that is the way it goes we are the same.

I have been lurking the site for a while so the first thing I did was to hit the Certified Chimney Sweep website. I also looked up reviews for best Chimney Sweeps on our neighborhood list serve. Bottom line is that I have emailed 9 different companies. 8 have responded. Of those 8 half will install the BK and none have indicated a willingness to install the Pacific Energy, even with me having it shipped to my house. I'll keep emailing further down the list today.

I am more surprised PE has not responded, however, things actually look pretty busy for stove sales right now.

Oh, all the Sweeps have offered to inspect and clean my chimney for me. It just seems that I may as well lump this into one project.

For whatever reason the PE maps on the service locator were not working on my computer. I have located a few now and have emailed them. We will see what they come up with.

Welcome to the forums !!

I'm surprised about no one wanting to install a PE. Once I had mine installed (and I watched, and learned .... especially the cutting the damper part, it was quite funny :) ), I realized it is not difficult.

Our 2nd stove install the Dixette & a buddy did on their own, with a little help from Englander Customer Service (which was awesome, just throwing that plug out there ! ).

There are no PE dealers near you?

Get cracking on that fire wood supply, which ever way you end up !

PE is virtually non-existent around here. My local shop sold exactly one Summit insert and said never again. And they have been in the business for 45 years. Something about the distributor, out of Tn or Ky don't remember which, being a pain in the butt.

Are you inside or outside of the Beltway? North or South D.C.?

PE is virtually non-existent around here. My local shop sold exactly one Summit insert and said never again. And they have been in the business for 45 years. Something about the distributor, out of Tn or Ky don't remember which, being a pain in the butt.

Are you inside or outside of the Beltway? North or South D.C.?

North West DC, off of Wisconsin. Maybe not proper cold, but cold enough to want nice heat and if you know anything about PEPCO, heat that works through a power outage.

Yeah. I am in Northern Virginia and I know that PEPCO invented darkness.

Don't know of any dealers or sweeps that work up that way. Your best bet is dealers in Southern Maryland. For some reason they seem to do stoves there more than just a few miles South. D.C. seems to think wood burning isn't real.

How were you planning to obtain the PE? From chimneysweeponline. I love Tom like the brother I never had but I would look for an Enviro insert locally. Getting a PE hauled in from far away is mucho bucks. They are good stoves, but not that much better than available alternatives. If any.

Lotta nice inserts out there.

Don't know of any dealers or sweeps that work up that way. Your best bet is dealers in Southern Maryland. For some reason they seem to do stoves there more than just a few miles South. D.C. seems to think wood burning isn't real.

How were you planning to obtain the PE? From chimneysweeponline. I love Tom like the brother I never had but I would look for an Enviro insert locally. Getting a PE hauled in from far away is mucho bucks. They are good stoves, but not that much better than available alternatives. If any.

Brother Bart, I actually really appreciate that piece of advice. I am completely open to suggestions here. As mentioned at the top, I am/was leaning Blaze King (This forum tipped me thre) and my wife saw my 'considering' photos and liked the contemporary looks of the PE Neo 2.5/1.6. With the size of our house the PE Neo actually is a great fit. So bottom line is I am really looking for a stove with more contemporary looks, similar to if not the Pacific Energy model. I'll check out Enviro again right now. And if I could get it installed by a local installer, bonus.

Oh and yes, I was looking at purchasing from chimneysweeponline if I could not find a more local solution.

For a mid-size modern-looking insert check out the Osburn Matrix. Their dealer search provides two hits in your area:
DAY & NIGHT HOME & HEARTH
23.31Mi (37.51KM) 7410 COCA COLA DRIVE
HANOVER(MD) US (410) 782-4070
E.S HUBBART & SON INC
54.24Mi (87.29KM) 403 SUNBURST HWY
CAMBRIDGE(MD) US (410) 228-3474

Sorry for the awkward formatting.

Then there is also the large flush hybrid insert from Travis industries (Avalon, Lopi, Fireplacextraordinaire). http://www.avalonfirestyles.com/product-detail.aspx?model=350
That's a newer unit with slightly different design depending which of the subcompanies you look at. I don't think I have seen any reports about it here yet.

Actually you can get the plain Jane look of the Neo from a bunch of inserts. The free standing Neo is "contemporary". The insert is just flat faced dull looking.

Look at the Enviro Boston or Venice and make that fireplace a focal point in the room. And a heating monster in the process.

Sorry to hear the PE distributer is a problem in that area. The Summit is a great heater. There is a dealer in Culpepper. http://www.woodstovesunlimited.com/ I second the vote for the Enviro Venice or Boston 1700. It is a classy, well-built heater. A couple caveats with a flush insert to consider. The more an insert projects into the room the better if will convect naturally without a fan. This is good to know if there are frequent winter power outages in the area. Flush inserts rely heavily on the blower to convect. Flush inserts usually have no ash lip. This is not only messy, but it often allows ash to get sucked into the blower and consequently all over the room. An ashlip also catches hot embers.

Last edited:
Consider also that if you have any problems AFTER the install, such as a defect with the stove or a warranty claim, it is always nice to have a local and responsive dealer to help out. The rare company like Woodstock, that sells direct and has no dealer network, compensates for lack of dealer support by providing first class customer care. Many other companies prefer not even to communicate with their end customers at all, leaving it entirely up to the local dealer to provide any service (or not, as is often the case).

I wonder, does Woodstock refer installers or sweeps to help with installs of their products? I would think any sweep that would help install and service a Woodstock would do the same for any other brand that did not come through a local dealer.

Brother Bart, I thought my company invented darkness up here in Jersey, well ... Pepco may have invented it, but mine keeps us in it longer

Status
Not open for further replies.