Fines

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been storing our pellets OUTSIDE in a metal pole building on a pallet. I assumed that's where everyone keeps theirs. What ELSE do you do with a ton of pellets.

Where do you put your pellets?

learningaboutpelletstoves said:
johnnywarm said:
As a TOTAL pellet rookie here, we learned about fines the scary way. While we are having other troubles with our stove, we did have the fines catch fire in the chute. VERY SCARY for me, since I'm learning as I go.

Tonight I cleaned out the hopper and took out probably 1/2 an ice cream pail of them. I just figured they'd drop down and burn in the pot. Well, they burned all right.

What maker of stove do you have??

Kozy's Olivia Corn/Pellet stove. I started a thread about it. It's a disaster.

Sorry you have problems with your stove. Thank you for letting us know about it.

We've been storing our pellets OUTSIDE in a metal pole building on a pallet. I assumed that's where everyone keeps theirs. What ELSE do you do with a ton of pellets.

Garage or the cellar. Its a walk in celler.

Right now I have 3 tons in my shop which is just across the patio from our back door. Pretty convenient but I want my floor space back! The other day I was trying to work a 12' board into a saw and I snagged a bag of pellets with the end...pellets everywhere! :ahhh:

I think during the summer I'll build a shelter, something similar to a covered wood rack only larger, down one side of the patio to store pellets in. I guess as long as they are on a pallet and covered to prevent any blowing rain from getting in they'll be okay.

I don't believe fines are a brand issue. It is more who is handling the pallets in shipping. I am told some get shipped and are repackaged onto pallets. If you ever go pick up a ton, or two on your own, observe your own tendencies when re-stacking the bags at home. After a bit, you get a mite sloppy with how you throw them about. It is an easy thing to understand.

Jerry

My pellets do leave the pallet till I bring them into the house. I have them delievred via a spider lift from a lumber yard. I cover and tarp them, then move them into my garage using my skid steer with pallet forks. Less handling means less fines.
Dino

Dino, you lucky dog you! I believe I hate you! LOL :lol:

urethane dino said:
My pellets do leave the pallet till I bring them into the house. I have them delievred via a spider lift from a lumber yard. I cover and tarp them, then move them into my garage using my skid steer with pallet forks. Less handling means less fines.
Dino

i have found, if you get some bags that a very small amount of the pellets get's wet they puff up and turn into a powder.

You guys are lucky.
Wish I had a garage......LOL

We get our pellets (3 ton) delivered in one shot and then they have
get carried one bag at a time into our below grade basement...

The knees and back are dead by the time the last bag gets in there,
but well worth it!

We have a pellet factory about 2 miles from me and everyone seems to carry them. They are like a grocery item for me. I buy maybe 10 bags at a time and leave them in the back of the van. The weight helps with traction and I even used a bag to get me unstuck. Hated tossing them on the ground like that but was glad I had them :)

pegdot said:
What do you use to sift the bottom portion of a bag? One of those pellet basket things?

I used a metal screen top made for keeping animals in a 10 gallon aquarium and then cut 1x2's to make a frame and then attached the screen top to the frame. Then attached two handles(also known as drawer pulls) at each end of the frame box. I got the handles from a hardware store.

I hauled all of mine so far (2 tons) down into the basement. I need the exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.