Finish a roughed in fireplace, basement remodel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

windgate

Jan 8, 2014
Delmarva
I am getting started on a basement remodel. I plan to insulate with 2in foam board against the CMU block wall and then stud out against the foam (2in foam + 2 5/8in steel studs = ~5in depth). I am in good shape with most of the framing, but I am not 100% sure what to do at the fireplace. The previous owner roughed-in a fireplace for a future finished basement (see photos). Specifically looking for how the framing works in conjunction with any masonry for finishing the fireplace area. Looking to have stacked veneer stone as the finished surface in lieu of brick.
Any cut sheets, cross sections, details, etc. would be helpful. Bonus points for a link to a Youtube video that details the process :)
FP 1.jpgFP 2.jpg

Basically your going to need to keep the studs and foam insulation a foot away from the fireplace opening or 8" is its solid masonry. Sure looks like the original intent was to have some sort of stone work on either side of the fire place right to the top of the ceiling with those brick ties. I'd keep those, install and pad out you framing with insulation then make a scratch coat on the wall near the f/p and veneer it with a nice dry stack of neutral color stones (neutral light greys apparently are in)