Converted Wood Fireplace Insert to Gas Logs Chimney Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Protius

Feb 7, 2024
NC
Hello All...

Found this site while researching my chimney problem and I hope maybe somebody might have some helpful advice or be able to point me in the right direction.

I have a home built in 1992 with an original wood burning fireplace insert (builders grade not sure the model) that has a 36" firebox. (Hope I'm using the correct terms). The original owners converted the unit to use gas logs shortly after buying the home and the fireplace is still gas to this day. It looks like the builder used a 12" outer/8" inner Temco chimney pipe (Model # I found on a sticker is 8248D) inside of a framed 'Chimney' on the outside of the home. Apparently Temco parts are now discontinued.

I am remodeling my fireplace inside and would like to raise the original unit about 8" off the floor and also move it forward about 6" to accommodate the new faux stone surround I am building instead of the drywall/finish carpentry work that was done originally around the insert. My questions are:

1) Can I simply focus on modifying and maintaining the integrity of the 8" inner pipe if this fireplace will never be converted back to wood burning since I can no longer get the Temco pieces/parts? I'm guessing the double wall design was for heat dissipation or is that incorrect?

2) If I Can only focus on the 8" pipe is there anything wrong with using an 8" pipe offset adapter box like in the attached picture?
adapterr1.jpg

3) Should I just replace the entire chimney pipe from the top of the insert all the way to the roof using whatever double wall system is currently available and a pair whatever degree elbows I need in order to get the forward distance I want to the front of the new surround build?

Thank you in advance for any help or guidance anybody can offer and if there is another thread or website where these steps are covered and explained already please point me in that direction. I'm not trying to be lazy I'm just lacking the appropriate knowledge I need to make this project go off without a hitch. And yes, I tore apart the original fireplace thinking this was going to be an easier endeavor than it has turned out to be and now I'm in a bind. Feel free to shame accordingly.

Hello All...

Found this site while researching my chimney problem and I hope maybe somebody might have some helpful advice or be able to point me in the right direction.

I have a home built in 1992 with an original wood burning fireplace insert (builders grade not sure the model) that has a 36" firebox. (Hope I'm using the correct terms). The original owners converted the unit to use gas logs shortly after buying the home and the fireplace is still gas to this day. It looks like the builder used a 12" outer/8" inner Temco chimney pipe (Model # I found on a sticker is 8248D) inside of a framed 'Chimney' on the outside of the home. Apparently Temco parts are now discontinued.

I am remodeling my fireplace inside and would like to raise the original unit about 8" off the floor and also move it forward about 6" to accommodate the new faux stone surround I am building instead of the drywall/finish carpentry work that was done originally around the insert. My questions are:

1) Can I simply focus on modifying and maintaining the integrity of the 8" inner pipe if this fireplace will never be converted back to wood burning since I can no longer get the Temco pieces/parts? I'm guessing the double wall design was for heat dissipation or is that incorrect?

2) If I Can only focus on the 8" pipe is there anything wrong with using an 8" pipe offset adapter box like in the attached picture?
View attachment 324497
3) Should I just replace the entire chimney pipe from the top of the insert all the way to the roof using whatever double wall system is currently available and a pair whatever degree elbows I need in order to get the forward distance I want to the front of the new surround build?

Thank you in advance for any help or guidance anybody can offer and if there is another thread or website where these steps are covered and explained already please point me in that direction. I'm not trying to be lazy I'm just lacking the appropriate knowledge I need to make this project go off without a hitch. And yes, I tore apart the original fireplace thinking this was going to be an easier endeavor than it has turned out to be and now I'm in a bind. Feel free to shame accordingly.
You need to use specific pipe that is specified by the fireplace manufacturer an oldest box is absolutely not acceptable

Thanks for the quick reply.

So it looks like I might have a Temco TLC36-3 fireplace so if I am unable to get Temco chimney pipe anymore then I'm guessing my only option if I want to move the unit forward is replace the entire box and chimney with a new ones or see if there is some type of 36" vent less gas log set??

Thanks for the quick reply.

So it looks like I might have a Temco TLC36-3 fireplace so if I am unable to get Temco chimney pipe anymore then I'm guessing my only option if I want to move the unit forward is replace the entire box and chimney with a new ones or see if there is some type of 36" vent less gas log set??
Pretty much. But a ventless log set probably isn't an option either. Without the proper chimney attached that box is completely understand useable. I would look at prefab gas fireplaces if it were me

Sigh...wife is gonna kick my @ss🤦‍♂️ Lol.

Thanks again B for your willingness to help the uneducated. Out of ignorance what is the main reason you need to always use the chimney pipe that the fireplace manufacturer recommends? Is it to maintain the UL Listing they have on the unit?

Sigh...wife is gonna kick my @ss🤦‍♂️ Lol.

Thanks again B for your willingness to help the uneducated. Out of ignorance what is the main reason you need to always use the chimney pipe that the fireplace manufacturer recommends? Is it to maintain the UL Listing they have on the unit?
Yes and code compliance. Plus all the chimneys are a little different so there wouldn't be a way to connect properly with the wrong pipe