Finished fireplace, how long for mortar to cure?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
Insert was installed several years ago but I just got around to refacing the fireplace with manufactured (Coronado) stone. Installed metal lath with scratch coat, let dry for 24 hours the installed the stone. Used Type S mortar mixed 2:1 with polymer thinset per manufacturers instructions.

How long should I let this cure before starting a fire? Just for reference the brick directly above the insert have never measured over 140 degrees when the stove is in use. Going on a 4 days of running the gas furnace and it's driving me crazy.

I waited about 24 hours on mine and I had no issues.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 871
keep in mind the longer you can wait the better.. the longer the curing time the better, and stronger.

4 days should be just fine

Status
Not open for further replies.