Finished my logging for the season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nick Mystic

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2013
Western North Carolina
This past year I had a large red oak tree come down in a storm (uprooted) taking three small sourwood trees with it. The root ball on one end and the many large tree limbs at the other kept it up off the ground. I had been waiting until I finished burning the wood left in my woodshed where I planned to store this tree and a few weeks ago I moved some of that remaining wood around so I could start refilling the shed. The tree was 20" in diameter five feet up the trunk and when I cut up the rounds I counted over 110 rings, so it had been growing a good long time. My property here in western NC is made up of many ravines and this particular tree fell about 200 yards from the house on the other side of a ravine too steep to navigate. This meant I had to make a trail around the back end of the ravine to get the wood out. In this type of situation I use a sled and hand drag the rounds about 100 yards to a spot where I can get to a wheelbarrow on a trail. Then it's another 100 yards pushing the wheelbarrow to my woodshed where I split and stack the rounds. I ended up getting around 4 cords of wood from the trees and completely filled up my shed. Today was the first really hot day where I did some serious sweating, so I'm really glad to finished for another season.
DSC_0075.JPG

This a photo of the woodshed taken a few years ago. It holds three rows deep and is thirty two feet long. I burn a bit more than a quarter of the wood each winter.

Great work, that’s a lot of wood to process even if it’s on site. It’s nice to have all that wood ready to go when needed- sounds like you’re well ahead.