Finished the hearth side of a project.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneralBill

Sep 30, 2009
Western OR
Wow, this took a while. The stove was out of commission during a cold snap too!

Got the wood cut at cross section by a woodworker and mounted it on 3/4 inch oak plywood. The triangular space behind it has cupboards that face the master bedroom in the middle. However at top and bottom you can see air holes. This is a passive air exchange to the bedroom. I put cabinet doors high and low so sound can be blocked (there are baffles and foam in the space too).

Still have to finish the bedroom side.

- Bill

Attachments

• hearth1-3.jpg
    hearth1-3.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 384
Nice job Bill, I like the look of the wood rounds.

That's very cool! have you left the wood untreated or have you sealed it with anything to give it a little sheen?

Very nice and unique. I have several of those big rounds of fir waiting to be split.

Bobbin said:
That's very cool! have you left the wood untreated or have you sealed it with anything to give it a little sheen?

I used clear lacquer. I tested lacquer, polyurethane varnish and Danish oil. The lacquer did the best at keeping the ring contrast. A woodworking forum strongly suggested a sealer prior to sanding, but it was too far along for that.

If you do mount pieces, consider mounting them first on 1/4 inch plywood using a good adhesive. I used epoxy. It is important to make sure the whole surface gets some glue as thin rounds break apart easily.

When I was a kid, we went to a state park that had a big round showing various dates that corresponded to the rings. Since then, I've really liked this type of cut and plan on making a table out of the middle piece from the same stump that the two crescents came from (I only have a 20" chainsaw, so the 68" round was cut in three sections).

One downside is it looks like an inferno waiting to happen. :)

- Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.