Finished up with the cutting, splitting, stacking for the year...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD1480

Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2008
Vernon, CT
Ok, so the question is, what do you guys do with all the sawdust, wood chips, bark, etc that has now accumulated after cutting up all the log length wood?

I thought about burning the bark as kindling and using the sawdust as a mulch around some of the trees? Any other ideas??

From what I understand it's a good idea to let the sawdust decompose somewhat before using as mulch.

I rake it all up into a big pile and either burn it right there if it's dry, or load it into my pickup and take it to the dump where it is considered "yard waste" and recycled into compost for free. I use kindling to start fires with. The actual sawdust sort of disappears into the grass.

AndyD1480 said:
Ok, so the question is, what do you guys do with all the sawdust, wood chips, bark, etc that has now accumulated after cutting up all the log length wood?

I thought about burning the bark as kindling and using the sawdust as a mulch around some of the trees? Any other ideas??
That will work. Throw a handful of nitrogen fertiliser if you mulch with sawdust, great for blueberries. Or add to your compost pile or compost barrel. Goes well with all garbage, coffee grounds etc., just don't add any meat products.
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.