Finishing an old Fireplace insert, Need Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stephen N

Apr 3, 2019
Columbus, OH, USA
Hello,

We are currently remodeling our living room where a previous owner installed a fireplace insert and closed off a bay window. We have opened the bay up and will be installing new [modified] windows, finishing around the zero-clearance fireplace insert, but leaving the flue pipe exposed (possibly painted with high-temp paint). The problem we found was they didn't install a ceiling support box for the flue, instead apparently using the support of a [possibly] triple insulated pipe from insert-to-roof (about 7' from bottom to roof surface). There are also some likely code-violations ala the rafter above the ceiling being quite a bit less than the required 2" clearance. This was installed by a previous owner in '94.

My question is: What are our options for finishing the ceiling around the flue pipe without having to disassemble/redo the whole thing, as a ceiling support box seems to be the normal transition through the ceiling.

Flue pipe says "Model "S" 8 Inch Chimney." Total diameter is about 13", minimum 2" air gap.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Look up the manual for your fireplace. I am pretty sure that pipe needs to be enclosed.

Look up the manual for your fireplace. I am pretty sure that pipe needs to be enclosed.
Thanks Bholler, I have been up and down every side, inside and out of the fireplace, and unfortunately I can't find any indication of a make or model of the insert, so this has been a dead end for me....

I don't understand what would make the pipe need to be enclosed, though, would you mind explaining this?

The mfg. info is often on a small tag in or around the door frame.

Thanks Bholler, I have been up and down every side, inside and out of the fireplace, and unfortunately I can't find any indication of a make or model of the insert, so this has been a dead end for me....

I don't understand what would make the pipe need to be enclosed, though, would you mind explaining this?
I don't have any reason other than they want to protect the pipe from anything being leaned against or placed to close to it. I have never seen any prefab fireplace instructions that allow the chimney pipe to be exposed. I do like the aesthetics of your design but you need to find the manual for your fireplace to know if any of it is possible.

And btw it is a fireplace not an insert. The two terms get mixed up allot and it can cause problems.

I have never seen any prefab fireplace instructions that allow the chimney pipe to be exposed.
This design is more common in Europe. We seem to be more nanny state about these things.

This design is more common in Europe. We seem to be more nanny state about these things.
Yes it is. But we have to follow codes and manufacturers instructions for the products we have. The pipe could probably be wrapped in another pipe 2 inches larger than the current outer wall so clearances would have to be maintained. They also have to check how much clearance above the unit is required before a combustible covering can be built.

The mfg. info is often on a small tag in or around the door frame.

Yea, there's a small metal tag [that's partially falling off] that mentions "make sure to close the screen" etc around the inside of the door, but nothing anywhere mentioning a manufacturer. The flue pipe is from Majestic, but it only lists a part number for the pipe. Unless I'm an absolute dunce, whatever sticker/tag once gave this information has fallen off prior to my owning the house. What would be my next step?

And btw it is a fireplace not an insert. The two terms get mixed up allot and it can cause problems.

Ahhh, yea, I had a feeling I was using that word wrong, thank you for the correction.

regarding manufacturer, these are the only markings on the whole unit, which from my googling do not imply a model or manufacturer (other than the flue-pipe majestic part number). But what do y'all think... barring any revelation with a manufacturer, what are your thoughts on the ceiling?

IMG_1006.jpeg IMG_1134.jpeg IMG_1135.jpeg

Yea, there's a small metal tag [that's partially falling off] that mentions "make sure to close the screen" etc around the inside of the door, but nothing anywhere mentioning a manufacturer. The flue pipe is from Majestic, but it only lists a part number for the pipe. Unless I'm an absolute dunce, whatever sticker/tag once gave this information has fallen off prior to my owning the house. What would be my next step?

Ahhh, yea, I had a feeling I was using that word wrong, thank you for the correction.

regarding manufacturer, these are the only markings on the whole unit, which from my googling do not imply a model or manufacturer (other than the flue-pipe majestic part number). But what do y'all think... barring any revelation with a manufacturer, what are your thoughts on the ceiling?

View attachment 243007 View attachment 243008 View attachment 243009
You need the make and model of the fireplace in order to know what you can and cant do with it. I have yet to see one that didnt have an id tag somewhere around the edge behind the doors. It is usually a metal tag many times riveted fast.

You need the make and model of the fireplace in order to know what you can and cant do with it. I have yet to see one that didnt have an id tag somewhere around the edge behind the doors. It is usually a metal tag many times riveted fast.

Ok, so I'm a partial dunce... Found the metal tag on the top inside-facing wall, completely smoothed-over caked in soot. I cleaned it off... I'll post it here in case any of this sparks familiarity for anyone brand-wise, in the mean time I'll do whatever CSI style stuff I can do decrepit what's left. So far I found this site, but no manual to be found:

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model/47wa5lhqj7-000582/kenmore-155847800-heating-cooling-parts

IMG_1137.jpeg

Ok, so I'm a partial dunce... Found the metal tag on the top inside-facing wall, completely smoothed-over caked in soot. I cleaned it off... I'll post it here in case any of this sparks familiarity for anyone brand-wise, in the mean time I'll do whatever CSI style stuff I can do decrepit what's left. So far I found this site, but no manual to be found:

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model/47wa5lhqj7-000582/kenmore-155847800-heating-cooling-parts

View attachment 243011
Just use a little water and rub lightly with your finger. You have to be really careful not to remove the writing.

Ok, I tried cleaning it further to no avail in clarity (possibly made it worse.) I do believe I found the right product (Kenmore 155847800), but sears says the manual is no longer available, and kenmore says the same thing... I tried suggesting my house could burn down without knowing how to maintain their unit and they said someone may call back but I'm not hopeful.

Any chance anyone could give advice on the ceiling at least, assuming the exposure is kosher (and a promise I would not take another step without first confirming from manual?)