Fire box size question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
skinnykid said:
well I had the Englander 30 NC but when the guy came to hook it up and inspect my chimney, he told me that it was WAY to big for the house and it would blow us away. I didn't know any better so I got a smaller stove.

Now I know I want a medium sized one. I will tell you, that 30-NC was a big one! Maybe a little to big!!

I E-mailed Englander to ask how they measure their fire boxes. I asked if the measure the entire box or if the measure from the tubes down (useable space)

Because the advertise their fire box as 1.8 cubic feet. Home cheapo has the englanders in stock for short $$ i would assume they will have them next fall also.

Lordy, I hate to be repetive, but you have been on this forum long enough to read so, so many times--that you can always build a smaller fire in a large stove, but you can`t build a larger fire in a "too small" stove.

This is no more than common sense. Plain and simple. :bug:

Burn times re and re--cat verus non-cat are a whole nother ball game.

Best advice, read and re-read these forums!!

Sonny, I have read that and know that. But like I said, the 30 NC was to big for the room. I can't go that big. Thats why I want a medium stove but really didn't know if 1.45 - 1.8 or 2.0 is really a difference
in the real word.

Trust me, I would go big if I could but also need it to look like it fits to keep the little lady happy. ( I call her the little General )

I will keep researching web sites and stuff. I want to buy it once and buy it right, thats why i am asking..

skinnykid said:
Sonny, I have read that and know that. But like I said, the 30 NC was to big for the room. I can't go that big. Thats why I want a medium stove but really didn't know if 1.45 - 1.8 or 2.0 is really a difference
in the real word.

Trust me, I would go big if I could but also need it to look like it fits to keep the little lady happy. ( I call her the little General )

I will keep researching web sites and stuff. I want to buy it once and buy it right, thats why i am asking..

Okay, it is becoming obvious to me that sooner or later you are gonna swap that stove out.

And it is a stove? Not an insert right?

Maybe start educating yourself on the soapstone stoves? Radiant heat even after the fire has gone. From my own personal experince can say that stoves give off a whole lot more heat than an insert. Now, soapstone, even though I have no experience with them, sounds like something you should be looking at.

Read and re-read the threads on these stoves. Think you might just find what you are looking for?

Apparently, they still continue to radiate heat long after the fire is gone. Slower to get the temps up , but longer lasting heat.

Hopefully, some of the soapstone owners can chime in here and give you some real "insight"..

And hey: skinnykid--it is frustrating when ya don`t get it right the first time? I know--been there..

Buddy, I wish I could afford a soap stone stove. I would be all over it! Maybe I can find a used one but I can't see me having the $$ for one.

Yes I have a stove.

P.s. I have been burning mostly Pine tonight, I will use hardwoods for the over night burn. It has been Darn cold in NH this week. Lows down to 17 degrees!!!

[quote author="skinnykid" date="1227243217 The thing I have to keep in mind is I need the over all size to be a small as possible, I don't want it taking up alot of my living room. I know, now I am asking alot![/quote]

If you are concerned with how much space a stove takes up in your Living room, you should keep installation clearances in mind. Some of the medium stoves take up less space than many of the small ones because they can be installed closer to the wall, or further into the corner.
Unfortunately, most of the close-clearance stoves also cost more $$$.

Just to add more confusion to your equation.

oh ya, I have been looking at the clearances as well as fire box size. I read all the specs on the stoves.

This is something that I do not need to do now, I was just wondering if my fire box was to small for a real over night burn and it caused me to go off on an adventure.

How big is your house? Might help us help you.
My Lopi has a 2.0 box and my house is 800 down/600 up. Sometimes a full load is too hot. But then, it doesn't get so cold here...

1500 square foot Garrison ( 2 floors)

The placement of the stove works out pretty well, just gotta get it to burn all night. If I didn't have 2 youngins, it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Englanders answer to my fire box measurement question was

" from the top of the brick, to the floor"

So I am to assume that it does NOT include the burn tube area. At least in my stove the brick stops, then there is frame with the burn tubes over that.

I know you said you have played with loading wood EW and NS. Did you have improved burn times when loading NS? Do you have any small diameter rounds that you can use for overnight burns. I find that rounds tend to burn longer than splits, hence I use small diameter rounds for my EW loading and then my smaller pieces for NS at each end of the longer pieces. I'm burning all softwoods, too--we only have conifers here, no hardwood deciduous trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.