Fire bricks in a Vermont Castings Dutchwest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
The stove I have is a bit larger than the ideal size for my house. It does not have any fire bricks. I previously had a smaller stove. The Vermont Castings i have now will as expected take longer to produce heat. I wonder if it would help, or maybe it's not a good idea - to add fire bricks? It would effectively reduce the size of the combustion chamber just a bit. Would it improve efficiency at all? If I did add them I'd probably just put them in back. I like having 22" or so width. Can't put any on front anyway due to the air control vents.

Maybe since the stove was designed without bricks, I shouldn't even consider them. I have the 2461 model (I think the mid size). Once it's been burning for a while it does great. Today I'm making stew on the stove - no electricity will be used in the process. The broth is simmering and will leave it that way for hours.