fire in woodstove burning in front half of firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabelone

Jan 27, 2012
Canada
Hello all, seems like recently our woodstove has had an issue with the fire burning predominantly in the front half of the firebox near the door. This leaves wood/logs in the rear half burning much slower, sometimes hardly burning at all until much later when the heat really gets up into higher burning zones (1 hr+) or until I pull them forward into the embers near the front. I never really noticed this in past years and I'm not doing anything different. Is there a simple solution or explanation or is it normal? The stove is a superseries Pacific Energy.

This seems pretty normal. In my stove the front logs ignite first and tend to burn away first. The logs in the back are always the last ones remaining, and the back corners are where the last charcoal will remain. If you load front to back (North/South, as they say) you will have flames moving to the back o fhte stove faster. Also, make sure the doghouse air supply, the air supply that enters at the lower front of the stove, is cleared of ash so the air can get in. In my stove the doghouse air jet will cut a hole through the front logs and this allows wood in the back of the stove to get air.

I think it is a good thing that the wood doesn't all burn at the same pace. It allows the load of wood to last longer.

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
Okay, thanks Wood Duck. Now you mention it, the metal air supply piece along the front of the box is starting to get a little warped after 20 years so maybe that is part of it. I better replace that.

+1, sounds pretty normal. All of the primary air in this stove is from the front. If the boost air cover is warped, it should be replaced.

Agree with Wood Duck. My Super27 does the same thing, although it's not really a problem. Everything gets burned eventually and I'm not sure it would be a good thing for the whole thing to go up at once anyway:). Loading north-south helps.

I've been loading E/W a lot this season and get exactly this same behavior. Actually I think it's desirable if you want a long slow burn.

I've been loading E/W a lot this season and get exactly this same behavior. Actually I think it's desirable if you want a long slow burn.
Has anyone actually experimented with this to see how much e-w loading could extend burn times? So many people are interested in long burn times.

Status
Not open for further replies.