Fire place no longer used

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RickLohmeyer

Oct 28, 2007
Denver Area
Hi,

I have a fireplace in my house that I no longer use. I'm looking for suggestions on how to prevent leakage (other than the obvious). I've closed the flue, and have a glass fireplace screen in front of it. When the wind blows, as it does often here in the Winter time you can hear the glass rattle, so you know it's not air tight. Is there some sort of insulated screen?

If you install what's called a flue-top damper (or chimney-top damper), it will seal off the chimney from the top end outside, preventing cold air from coming in & warm air from escaping, and tend to warm the air column in the chimney flue. It also excludes moisture and pests or birds from the chimney, and allows for you, or a future resident, to simply open the damper and use the fireplace as originally built, if so desired. They're not hard to find, nor are they particularly challenging to install.

JohnnyBravo said:
i believe its called an insert. it should stop the draft and heat your house. :)
YES :exclaim:

Status
Not open for further replies.