firebrick coming apart

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodboss

Aug 29, 2013
clinton new jersey
Hi everyone, I have a PE Summit insert that was installed back in September at my girlfriends house. I did all of the cleaning all winter and spring with no problems. Yesterday I was cleaning it out for the summer and noticed that on the bottom 2 of the firebricks were coming apart. Is this normal or did she have to hot of a fire. they were fine all winter.

Bricks are considered a consumable, but generally not in that short of time. Are they crumbling or cracking, or what?

Maybe she was getting rain water through the chimney? That's why the bottom once are breaking.

That sounds premature. Out bottom bricks on the PE are going on to their 7th season. They are still in decent condition. Heat is unlikely to be the issue, moisture or too aggressive ash scraping maybe?

They may of had moisture in them when new, The first break in fire should be small do drive the moisture out of the brick, I think I read that in the manual but it's not handy so I may be wrong, maybe your first fire was just a bit to hot. I have the PE spectrum 5 years old, Just now going to replace 3 on each side, showing wear from the poker the wife use's. Jay

Are they crumbling or cracking, or what?

This is an important question. If they're cracked clean through, that's likely impact. If they're crumbling, that's something else entirely. Rick

That sounds premature. Out bottom bricks on the PE are going on to their 7th season. They are still in decent condition. Heat is unlikely to be the issue, moisture or too aggressive ash scraping maybe?
do not think it is a moisture problem its 2 bricks right in front of the door. could be she's too aggressive cleaning out the ash. looks like the bricks raised up, when i went over them on Sunday they came apart

It could be that you had a couple of bad bricks from the factory. Are the rest in fine shape? Is it only these two bricks that appear to be degrading?

looks like its only those 2 bricks

I would simply replace the bricks with new and move on. Monitor for strange wear in the future. If you notice the same thing happening, then I would be concerned with operation/operator.

Reactions: fossil
Status
Not open for further replies.