Firebrick in Hampton starting to crumble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cocey2002

Dec 28, 2007
Central PA
Hello, is this normal? Where can I get more to replace the older ones? I have two bricks on the bottom that have worn down about 1/4 of an inch. Should I call the Hampton to see if they will send me out new ones?

What Hampton and how old? I would suggest calling your local rep because I think the Hampton rep will tell you this.

Firebricks are considered a wear item - like gaskets - and DO need occasional replacement...
They are called SPLIT firebrick & are 4.5 x 9 x 1.25 & are standard at most masonry supply stores for about $1.50...
Some will hafta be cut & a wet-cutting tile saw works best to keep the dust down,
but you can cut em with a skill saw with a masonry blade...
If you feed your firewood a little more carefully into the firebox, the firebrick will last longer...

You probably have the same light brick I have in the Quad (that's I've complained about here before).
I replaced them with normal firebrick and have noticed no problem.
I cut them outside on my old crappy table saw with a masonry abrasive type blade.
It makes a bunch of dust.
I had to drill a hole for the startup air too.

3 years on my hampton and no issues that I am aware of yet. The corners are not as sharp as they once were but other then that I am still burning along.

cocey2002 said:
Hello, is this normal? Where can I get more to replace the older ones? I have two bricks on the bottom that have worn down about 1/4 of an inch. Should I call the Hampton to see if they will send me out new ones?
From my experience, the firebrick used in Hampton stoves are of a higher quality than in some others. I suspect that if your bricks are wearing down you may be having some reaction to some of the fuel you burn. Corrossive materials or real green wood will cause errosion of bricks in any stove regardless of the quality of the brick. I'd also be aware that if you are burning something you shouldn't, the errossion will not be confined to the bricks. This is as good a reason as any to look at burn practices!!
To answer your first question though, any Hampton dealer will be able to get you replacement bricks from the manufacturer. The chances are you'd get the first lot at n/c but they'd expect you to consider what may be causing the errosion.

velvetfoot said:
You probably have the same light brick I have in the Quad (that's I've complained about here before).
I replaced them with normal firebrick and have noticed no problem.
I cut them outside on my old crappy table saw with a masonry abrasive type blade.
It makes a bunch of dust.
I had to drill a hole for the startup air too.
OUCH!!!

Woodstoveguy, I like your avatar, reminds me of some bosses I have had. :cheese:

Thanks guys, I'm thinking that it could be the startup block I use. I purchase the easy start stuff and cut off a small chunk. It says that it is safe for stoves.

cocey2002 said:
Thanks guys, I'm thinking that it could be the startup block I use. I purchase the easy start stuff and cut off a small chunk. It says that it is safe for stoves.

That makes perfect sense to me. The start-up block sits right on the bottom bricks and whatever is in them would eat away at the brick.

It might be good for the rest of us to know which ones you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.