Fireplace Choice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never raked the coals, so maybe that has been my issue. I have always just placed the new splits right on top, with an alternating pattern for staking them. The wood has never hissed/bubbled out or anything to indicate that it wasn't dry. I do have an outside air kit. And I've always opened the air up all the way on reload. I have about 1/3 of the wood from my neighbor left, so I need to get some new wood as even now with most of the wood around here being oak, it probably won't be dry for this next winter.

By alternating pattern do you mean a layer N/S then the next layer E/W, lincoln log style? If so that could be part of the problem. Stacking that way will put a lot of air between the splits, making a shorter burning fire.

The only reason I stacked them 'Lincoln log' style is to try to get the reload to light better without so much smoke (and that's how I've done the top down fire's when I start from scratch)... but I'll have to give raking the coals to the front a try.

If it's dry, and your chimney warm/drafting, the wood will light stacked tight, with no smoke into the room. Stacking criss-crossed will cause a very hot burn in any stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.