Fireplace conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JMSCHUTT

Jan 25, 2022
Leawood Kansas
Appreciate your help.
I am an architect here in KC and was wondering if it is possible to convert a 2 way fireplace into a 1 way?
The fireplace is in a restaurant, and we plan on moving the existing bar to where the fireplace is located.
We plan to build out a metal stud wall at the old fireplace hearth and run new "cold," beer lines up through that wall.

Thoughts?

If there will be a fireplace remaining on the other side then several factors need to be taken into account. An insulated wall is insufficient. The new, one-sided fireplace will need to be built to spec meaning with the proper amount of masonry behind it and an almost full rebuild inside to make a proper fireback, smoke shelf, etc. Also, the flue will likely be too large and may need a liner. Get some good masons on site that knows his stuff and get some estimates. My guess is that this won't be a trivial project. It might be simpler to put a freestanding stove or insert on the fireplace side.

Here's the proposed layout. No picture of the fireplace yet.

Attachments

• firplace conversion.pdf
    31.6 KB · Views: 65
Gosh I would think that a double fireplace would be a better asset than a bar that you could move anywhere in the building--I would give that idea another thought especially around Christmas Time as well as making it into a romantic restaurant if it could be that way..people like those smaller places if they serve good food in them. A bar is one thing and a restaurant is another but both is romantic especially in the winter months if served with real good food...just saying..clancey