Fireplace - cosmetic rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MacLaddy

Nov 10, 2023
Portland, Oregon
Hello folks,

We moved into our home a few years ago and are unsure about what to do with our basement fireplace. Although we'd like to use it, we never have. I had it inspected by two different companies—one was a chimney sweep company, and the other specialized in rebuilding fireplaces. Despite the appearance of the firebox, both companies confirmed that it is in perfectly fine condition, although not entirely up to code, and would be safe to use. Unfortunately, we can't afford the proposal's hefty price tag to make it visually appealing.

Part of the issue is the slope from the laminate floor tile to the firebox bottom/floor. I haven't measured it, but it likely slopes down between 1 to 2 inches. So, for me to build a new hearth, I either need to add mortar/concrete to level that area with the floor or chisel it out and level it with the firebox. Another problem is those terrible white floor tiles very likely contain asbestos. I prefer encapsulation over removal.

Could I put a form around the fireplace brick, level this with refractory mortar or cement, and then tile around it? It would have an edge around the fireplace brick (like this |__).

I appreciate any thoughts the community has on a DIY solution for a hearth.

Thanks,
Mac

Fireplace 2.jpg

Fireplace 1.jpg

So under the tile is cement slab? If so, it might work, but the important question is whether the tiles have any combustible content. Usually laminate does. If so, they should be removed to get down to the bare cement.

So under the tile is cement slab? If so, it might work, but the important question is whether the tiles have any combustible content. Usually laminate does. If so, they should be removed to get down to the bare cement.
Yes, the basement is built on a cement slab. The white tiles are more than 6" from the firebox. A quick google search says our national fire code requires 6" or greater distance for combustible materials from a fireplace opening. I haven't confirmed that in the code (or have a good understanding of it), so I'll take it with a grain of salt until I do.

If it is true, do you think it would be okay to build this up and have a small step down into the firebox? Maybe I could use a small metal angle edge to use as the border.

Follow-up question. I've never worked with brick but I have completed a number of tile jobs. Is regular ceramic tile safe around a fireplace?

There should be 16" hearth protection in front and side considering it is open there.

R1001.10 Hearth extension dimensions. Hearth extensions shall extend not less than 16 inches in front of and not less than 8 inches beyond each side of the fireplace opening. Where the fireplace opening is 6 square feet or larger, the hearth extension shall extend not less than 20 inches in front of and not less than 12 inches beyond each side of the fireplace opening.

There should be 16" hearth protection in front and side considering it is open there.

R1001.10 Hearth extension dimensions. Hearth extensions shall extend not less than 16 inches in front of and not less than 8 inches beyond each side of the fireplace opening. Where the fireplace opening is 6 square feet or larger, the hearth extension shall extend not less than 20 inches in front of and not less than 12 inches beyond each side of the fireplace opening.
Thanks. Looks like you're in my neck of the woods, or pretty close. The biggest issue I'm facing right now is the substrate. I need to figure out if I can level it to the floor and have a small drop into the fireplace, or if the fireplace needs to remain level with the hearth. I haven't seen one way or another.

Thanks. Looks like you're in my neck of the woods, or pretty close. The biggest issue I'm facing right now is the substrate. I need to figure out if I can level it to the floor and have a small drop into the fireplace, or if the fireplace needs to remain level with the hearth. I haven't seen one way or another.
The biggest issue is whether or not the tiles have asbestos. To have a code compliant fireplace you need the 16” out front to be free of combustibles.

I have not seen any restrictions on the height above or below room floor for the fireplace floor. I like the idea of the slope down into the fireplace. Might keep a log from rolling out. Or at least help keep ashes in the fireplace.

The biggest issue is whether or not the tiles have asbestos. To have a code compliant fireplace you need the 16” out front to be free of combustibles.

I have not seen any restrictions on the height above or below room floor for the fireplace floor. I like the idea of the slope down into the fireplace. Might keep a log from rolling out. Or at least help keep ashes in the fireplace.
Thank you. I've chipped of a small piece of that tile. I'm going to get it tested for asbestos.

I'm going to start collecting materials while I wait. Do I need to use refractory cement or mortar underneath the hearth? It is outside the firebox, so I haven't been able to find a clear answer to that. Regular cement is much more affordable, so I'd rather go that route if I can.

Thank you. I've chipped of a small piece of that tile. I'm going to get it tested for asbestos.

I'm going to start collecting materials while I wait. Do I need to use refractory cement or mortar underneath the hearth? It is outside the firebox, so I haven't been able to find a clear answer to that. Regular cement is much more affordable, so I'd rather go that route if I can.
If you decide to remove the tile, try renting a wallpaper steamer and using that on them. Several years ago at my old house I had a room that had some old linoleum tiles on the floor that I needed to remove and I tried using a wallpaper steamer and it worked great. It heats up and loosens the glue holding them down and also makes the tiles flexible and they peel right up. Also the steam controls or eliminates dust which would be especially good if you are in fact dealing with asbestos. Much easier than chipping them up in tiny pieces and sending dust flying all over the place.

Reactions: MacLaddy
If you decide to remove the tile, try renting a wallpaper steamer and using that on them. Several years ago at my old house I had a room that had some old linoleum tiles on the floor that I needed to remove and I tried using a wallpaper steamer and it worked great. It heats up and loosens the glue holding them down and also makes the tiles flexible and they peel right up. Also the steam controls or eliminates dust which would be especially good if you are in fact dealing with asbestos. Much easier than chipping them up in tiny pieces and sending dust flying all over the place.
This was a great suggestion! Worked like I charm. Luckily, I had an old steamer laying around. It came off just like you said, plus everything was soaking wet and no dust at all. I've already removed three of them.