Fireplace enclosure seal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mccorb

Apr 8, 2019
Tulsa OK
I am building a fireplace enclosure and am trying to figure out what type of seal I want to use. I see a lot of products using some sort of graphite impregnated fiberglass rope and some others use white fiberglass rope.

I think I want something that is round and hollow (or silicone maybe?) inside like an oven seal so that when it closes it flexes flat and seals very well. However maybe these can't take the heat. The fireplace is a normal stone fireplace and probably doesn't get as hot as a wood stove although I don't really know that for sure.

I figured if I used plain fiberglass rope it wouldn't flex enough to do a good seal.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I am building a fireplace enclosure and am trying to figure out what type of seal I want to use. I see a lot of products using some sort of graphite impregnated fiberglass rope and some others use white fiberglass rope.

I think I want something that is round and hollow (or silicone maybe?) inside like an oven seal so that when it closes it flexes flat and seals very well. However maybe these can't take the heat. The fireplace is a normal stone fireplace and probably doesn't get as hot as a wood stove although I don't really know that for sure.

I figured if I used plain fiberglass rope it wouldn't flex enough to do a good seal.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
What exactly are you building and what are you trying to seal?

I'm building some steel fireplace doors for my stone fireplace. The doors are going to be hinged on the sides only...not bifold...and have metal panels that cover the screens at night so all the heat in the house doesn't go up the chimney. I want a 'fat' seal that easily flattens for where the doors overlap the frame. For where the panels fit in to cover the screens I think fiberglass rope would work just fine.