Fireplace Flue and wood stove questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColbyR

Dec 14, 2020
monroe ga
Hey guys, I am new to the forum and have several questions on a fireplace project. I own a home that was built in the 1980s the home has a fire place insert with the model #x202573. I will post a picture below. I have tried looking this majestic fireplace up, but have not been able to find any information. I am assuming that this model is discontinued. My ultimate goal is to install a wood-burning stove into the insert. I recently picked up a buck stove model 21 for a really good price. I do believe that this stove will fit if my measurements are correct. The stove also came with a 6-inch flexible flue liner. This is where I have questions. The preexisting fireplace does not have a flue. I am assuming that the chimney began to leak at some point, and the previous owner removed the flue and roofed over everything. I will also post pictures below. My question is, should I replace the flue on the majestic insert, and then run the flexible liner through that? If so, does a double-wall flue need to be used? Will a SK8 by majestic be suitable for this https://www.efireplacestore.com/maj-sk83.html? Or could a 6-inch flue run directly from the stove through the roof. I hope that makes sense. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need more information or pictures.

131207966_302158854463732_9108458212003754571_n.jpg
131202655_397050868281062_1591766042114403742_n.jpg

To start with the majestic is not an insert its a zero clearance fireplace. Many ZC's do not allow insert to be placed in them. A flexible liner needs to be insulated an inside a non combustible chimney. It would not be worth installing the correct flue for the ZC to to install a an insert and liner. You would have to find the manual for the majestic ZC and see if they allow insert or call Majestic. The good news is a Buck 21 could be installed as freestanding stove with a leg kit or as a ZC with cabinet kit from buck and class A flue pipe.

Reactions: ColbyR
To start with the majestic is not an insert its a zero clearance fireplace. Many ZC's do not allow insert to be placed in them. A flexible liner needs to be insulated an inside a non combustible chimney. It would not be worth installing the correct flue for the ZC to to install a an insert and liner. You would have to find the manual for the majestic ZC and see if they allow insert or call Majestic. The good news is a Buck 21 could be installed as freestanding stove with a leg kit or as a ZC with cabinet kit from buck and class A flue pipe.
Awesome! thanks for the response. Let me do some digging and see if I can come uo with the manual. I will keep you posted on that goes.

Majestic does not allow inserts

Majestic does not allow inserts
Is this for all Majestic Zero Clearance fireplaces? Again, I can not find any information on this particular model. Do I have any other other options? Fix the zero clearance and not have the wood burning stove? Remove the zero clearance and frame the wood burning stove as a zero clearance?

Is this for all Majestic Zero Clearance fireplaces? Again, I can not find any information on this particular model. Do I have any other other options? Fix the zero clearance and not have the wood burning stove? Remove the zero clearance and frame the wood burning stove as a zero clearance?
I have read tons of majestic fireplace manuals and none have allowed it.

You cannot install a stove as a zero clearance it is a stove it has required clearances to combustibles.

^^ as above. You can install a free-standing stove in the alcove space created by removal of the ZC - in some cases. This would require strict adherence to the alcove installation requirements for the stove. This means new chimney pipe and a chimney support system in addition to complying with all clearance requirements for the stove and stovepipe.

You might try to email buck about the 21ZC cabinet for price and info the online manual for 21 doesn't show the cabinet. I emailed the about the 74ZC they sent me a part number and I was able to find the manual for that.

So, If I decide to replace the flue in the existing zero clearance fireplace, would the sk8 majestic flue work for this application?

So, If I decide to replace the flue in the existing zero clearance fireplace, would the sk8 majestic flue work for this application?
You need to find out what chimney is specified for your fireplace