Q&A Fireplace Flue Smoking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

My problem is smoke coming back out of the fireplace into my living room. The chimney has been cleaned and the flue is open as far as it will go, but every time I build a fire, some smoke comes out into the house. When I look up into the flue, it simply appears as though the flue is not opening wide enough and the smoke is actually reflecting off the damper. I cannot open the flue any further because the handle hits the edge of the fireplace. Is there a way to adjust the flue? There are several screws where the handle connects to the flue but I can't figure out if it is adjustable. Can I simply buy a different flue? HELP!

Answer:

Make certain that you warm the flue well, as described in the articles about starting a fire on our information pages.<p>You may be right, the damper handle may need to be replaced with a longer one that allows it to open further. Some stove shops should carry this damper...or try the parts people at our parts link below.

Link: The Parts Place

Status
Not open for further replies.