Fireplace Gas Valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Did you verify gas to the valve? At this point I would pull the glass off. Try the lighting sequence while holding a grill lighter to the pilot. You make have a lot of air in the system. If air is coming out you would be able to see it affect your lighter flame.
I'm not sure if you checked your pilot line yet for block..

I understand no flame. But can you see the lighter flame slightly affected by air? Let me us know when you have verified gas to the valve.

Well you could crack the pilot at the valve being careful..call for heat, does gas come out of the valve. If it comes out there, but not at pilot, then that's your problem.

See this is what I am trying to understand whether the gas coming out at the pilot or not.How do I know that.I change the whole gas valve but still problem not solved.I there a way to check that gas is coming out of the valve.

You'd hear it, smell it

Than no gas coming out at Pilot.Now prepilot how do I check that.The tubing going from gas valve to pilot is connected to gas valve on one end and threaded in to the valve.If I unthread it from the gas valve and check whether gas is coming out.I s this a safe way to check.

It's a way to check it.
Than no gas coming out at Pilot.Now prepilot how do I check that.The tubing going from gas valve to pilot is connected to gas valve on one end and threaded in to the valve.If I unthread it from the gas valve and check whether gas is coming out.I s this a safe way to check.
Its how I would do it. Its a small amount of gas. You have a service shut off right in the valve area? Just to see if gas does come out of it. Or slightly loosen it and spray some soapy water on it.
Have you ever verified that you have gas going into this valve?

Ok when you say that have you ever verified that gas is coming to the valve than how do I check it.I traced my black color gas line to the basement and it is coming off from the line which is feeding the furnace and house cooking range.I do not find any gas shutting valve in basement area.Only gas shutting knob is outside the house near gas meter,second under the cooking range and third in the fireplace area just before line connected to fireplace gas valve which I replaced.

Brass flat head screw on face of valve, says Pin. If you loosen that does gas come out.

What I said above would be a really simple and quick way to verify if gas was coming out of the pilot discharge on the valve.

I still think you may just have a lot of air in your system. I'd like to see a video of you holding a lighter flame right at the pilot hood while trying to turn the fireplace on.

Ok I loosen the brass head screw in front of gas valve and no gas coming out.Does it mean I have no gas going in to the valve.How could that possible as I have no other gas shutting valve anywhere except outside the house and in the firebox next to gas valve.Is this my problem that no gas in the line.

Take a bunch of photos of the valve cavity area

I am sending the pictures of gas fireplace showing red gas valve in off position.Slso sending pictures of outside house gas line and meter.

Attachments

• B385D1C8-A428-4261-AF43-325C2EBEC82C.jpeg
    B385D1C8-A428-4261-AF43-325C2EBEC82C.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 147
  • C8DD8210-9756-4607-9687-61301C26290E.jpeg
    C8DD8210-9756-4607-9687-61301C26290E.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 152
  • B5D5E775-8F6E-444A-B3A2-267310B48EC7.jpeg
    B5D5E775-8F6E-444A-B3A2-267310B48EC7.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 146
  • BC33DE61-0811-42C3-9DFF-A81E19EB85D8.jpeg
    BC33DE61-0811-42C3-9DFF-A81E19EB85D8.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 158
  • F3F51712-65F8-4FF4-8981-819E62F6E41D.jpeg
    F3F51712-65F8-4FF4-8981-819E62F6E41D.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 148
I'm still suspecting air in your system. I would take glass off and try to light with a grill lighter, see if pressurized air is affecting your flame

By pressurized air I mean air under pressure.... If it's been off for a while air can build up and need to be purged. So again lol. Hold a flame to the pilot hood, light it, see if the flame looks like air is pushing it. I don't know how to explain this further. Sometimes it can take many lighting cycles until natural gas is coming out of the pilot.

It is subtle

I am sending the pictures of gas fireplace showing red gas valve in off position.Slso sending pictures of outside house gas line and meter.
Folks I fixed it.I forgot to put one connection under the gas valve which I changed and once I did it, fireplace fired up.
Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

Leave the wire attached. You should be able to get your probe onto metal. Set meter for 2vdc. You will see an initial voltage iirc of 1.5ish, then drop down to a lower maintenance voltage .400 volt ish...
Hello! I was following this forum because I have a similar issue - I have an Astria Aries Direct Vent fireplace. The spark ignitor sparks when I turn on the switch, but the pilot doesn't light. Also, no smells of gas anywhere. I was also suspecting a gas valve problem. It appears I have the same valve as the person in the forum (pic attached). When I removed the orange wire and checked the voltage across the line when the spark ignitor was on, I got erratic readings bouncing between 1.3 - 4 V DC and it went to zero when the ignitor stopped sparking. When I had the orange wire plugged in, I measured at the metal where the orange wire connects and on the base of the fireplace and got voltage readings bouncing between 3 - 29 V DC when the ignitor was sparking and going to zero when it stopped. Have I measured the voltage correctly? Are these the readings I should expect? What other diagnostics would you recommend?

gas valve.png