Fireplace hearth extension advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 2, 2016
New York
I am renovating a house built in 1958 and need to bring my hearth to code before I can have new vinyl flooring installed. I tore out the original slate extension and found degraded concrete underneath. About 2-3" thick. Under that is what looks like extremely compacted dirt, but may actually be plaster laid on top of wood slats.

I'm just looking for advice on the best way to go from here. I was thinking of stacking durarock until it is flush with the subfloor, but I'm also wondering if I should pour some concrete down. Pics attached. Will have more later. Any advice appreciated!

IMG_20211129_204030_079.jpg20211204_113634.jpg20211202_201627.jpg

I am renovating a house built in 1958 and need to bring my hearth to code before I can have new vinyl flooring installed. I tore out the original slate extension and found degraded concrete underneath. About 2-3" thick. Under that is what looks like extremely compacted dirt, but may actually be plaster laid on top of wood slats.

I'm just looking for advice on the best way to go from here. I was thinking of stacking durarock until it is flush with the subfloor, but I'm also wondering if I should pour some concrete down. Pics attached. Will have more later. Any advice appreciated!

View attachment 287291View attachment 287292View attachment 287295
To bring it up to code you need to remove all of that. Then either build a non combustible form or a removable wooden one and pour a new hearth extension slab that is anchored back to the main slab. No combustibles can contact the bottom side of it