Fireplace height to fit Osburn 3500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ovationcs257

Oct 26, 2022
Rochester NY
I'm trying to pick an insert for my existing masonry fireplace. The height at the existing opening is 27". The Osburn 3500 is 26 3/4". Is this too tight? I'm concerned that this is going to make it difficult to get the liner installed. Am I over thinking this?

Thank you
Brian

It's squeaky tight measure again to be safe. There are fastening methods for attaching the liner from the inside of the firebox. Look in the manual section 10.5.1 on page 38. Osburn sells these, part AC02006.
liner to insert collar SBI.jpg

Or there is this starter section sold.

insert start collar.png

It's 24 7/8" high according to the "dimension" drawings on osburn's site.

at least that's what I see...

Yes. Checking the manual, it's 24 7/8" to the top of the flue attachment tabs, and they can be removed if the liner is to be attached from the inside. If so, that brings the height down to 24 1/2".

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 10.05.25 AM.png

It's squeaky tight measure again to be safe. There are fastening methods for attaching the liner from the inside of the firebox. Look in the manual section 10.5.1 on page 38. Osburn sells these, part AC02006.
View attachment 301915

Or there is this starter section sold.

View attachment 301914

Yes. Checking the manual, it's 24 7/8" to the top of the flue attachment tabs, and they can be removed if the liner is to be attached from the inside. If so, that brings the height down to 24 1/2".

View attachment 301959
Thank you I should have double checked this. The I went off this websites minimum firebox size https://hvacdirect.com/osburn-3500-wood-burning-fireplace-insert-ob03511.html

I should know better. That makes me feel much better about getting it to fit.

Is the liner fixation accessory worth the $110 now that I have a few inches of play?

Thank you