Fireplace insert - can I reduce from 7" to 6" liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scrabbley

Sep 4, 2008
S. OHIO
I have acquired an older better n bens insert in great shape. The cost between a 6 and 7 inch liner is large. Can I reduce at the insert to 6" without any trouble or is that trouble? The chimney is in great shape - 35 feet high and in the center of my home. I also plan to insulate the liner. I do not wish to buy a new insert so you can save that discussion for someone else. I have about 20 years of free firewood and I like the looks of the stove in my old house. I am just wanting to know if going from 7 out of the insert to 6 on a flex liner is trouble or not. If you know - please be kind enough to offer your thoughts. Thanks.

NFPA 211 (2006): "12.4.4 Flue Cross-Sectional Area. For residential-type natural draft solid fuel-burning appliances, the flue shall meet the following conditions:

(1) The cross-sectional area of the flue shall not be less than the cross-sectional area of the appliance flue collar, unless specified by the manufacturer.

etc., etc.

If you live in the United States, and there is no local Authority Having Jurisdiction to overrule what's contained in NFPA 211, then that's the standard to be followed, if you're interested in that sort of thing. I'm just a messenger, I'm not moving in. Rick

In this circumstance, with a 35 ft of insulated liner, it seems like too much draft might be an issue. Dropping down to 6" may actually be an improvement. This is not a definitive statement, Rick is correct about citing chapter and verse, but in this case, the proof of the pudding may be in the actual performance of the stove. I would go with the 6" insulated liner. But again, that is one man's opinion.

Put 'er in, hook 'er up, and burn her. Likely as not, it'll burn wood and make heat. Let us know how it goes. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.