Fireplace Insert Glass Doors...Dirty Glass or Some Type of Metal??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bilbernie

Oct 11, 2015
Kentucky
I just bought this house and cleaned the fireplace insert doors and am confused. The outside of the doors looks like glass, but when I cleaned the inside, they look like metal. See the star pattern of tiny holes? Are the doors still dirty, or is this some type of metal on the inside?

Attachments

• IMG_20151010_174754.jpg
    IMG_20151010_174754.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20151010_175721.jpg
    IMG_20151010_175721.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20151010_175040.jpg
    IMG_20151010_175040.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 168
First off have you had that unit inspected by a pro? If not you should not burn it yet. Secondly it certainly looks like metal from the inside but you should be able to tell much better in person than we can from pics. For one does a magnet stick to it?

First off have you had that unit inspected by a pro? If not you should not burn it yet. Secondly it certainly looks like metal from the inside but you should be able to tell much better in person than we can from pics. For one does a magnet stick to it?
It was cleaned and inspected by a chimney sweep. We didn't think to even ask about the door, but are trying to get prepared for the winter burning season. I put a magnet to it and it did stick! The outside is glass though. We have not taken the doors apart, but maybe it is glass and metal glued together. Have you ever seen this before? We really wanted to see our fire burning...

I've seen metal screening before. It most likely is a heat shield for tempered glass in the doors.

That is probably what I would consider, but this would void any testing certification for the insert.

They pulled the entire big insert out of the fireplace and cleaned it and the chimney flue.
Why did they pull out the insert to clean if it has a liner hooked up to it? I am sorry to keep pushing but something doesn't sound right to me.

Sorry i just reread your previous post it says it does not have a liner. In that case i would strongly recommend not using it as is it can be very dangerous. What did the sweep say about it?

Why did they pull out the insert to clean if it has a liner hooked up to it? I am sorry to keep pushing but something doesn't sound right to me.
It does not have a liner....it uses the masonry fireplace. It is just an insert that is pushed up into a fireplace. It does not have any metal pipe running down the fireplace attached to it. To clean it, they have to pull the (fireplace insert/stove) out.

He didn't say that it would be dangerous to use. I do understand that a liner is much safer and easier to clean. I mainly want it functioning in case we have no heat in an ice storm in the winter.

I mainly want it functioning in case we have no heat in an ice storm in the winter.
Then get it lined it is not code compliant and can be extremely dangerous to use the way it is now. I cant believe a sweep would work on a slammer and say nothing about it being unsafe. Most including us will not work on them at all anymore other than to clean them in order to evaluate the system for a liner install.

Then get it lined it is not code compliant and can be extremely dangerous to use the way it is now. I cant believe a sweep would work on a slammer and say nothing about it being unsafe. Most including us will not work on them at all anymore other than to clean them in order to evaluate the system for a liner install.
Thank you for all of your help. We are
We are going to get a liner! thanks for all of your help!

If it were me, I would replace the entire unit, it looks old and not well cared for, as well as not being properly installed. you don't know what your going to get till you fire it up. You might end up regretting putting money into that unit.
What unit is it? How old? Thanks and good luck with it....

Agreed. I wouldn't invest in the old unit. It probably will make better economic sense to consider a replacement rather than spending funds on a flue collar and large liner for the old insert. A modern unit will provide more heat, safe operation, a great fire view and more efficiency (more heat with less wood burned). A new insert will most likely take a 6" stainless liner which will be less costly to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.