Q&A Fireplace Insert in Old house, low mantle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

HearthNet Webmaster, I'd like to put a wood-burning insert in my fireplace. Using your site and assistance, I have the flue size problem solved. Now a new problem has arisen. My mantle is only about 4 1/2 feet off the floor. The stoves I've seen all have a minimum stove-to-mantle distance that is significantly larger than my fireplace allows. Am I misreading the specs, is there a work-around, or is a stove just not an option for this fireplace?

Answer:

Many stoves can use a mantel shield, which serves as a deflector of heat. These can be purchased or made on the job (by the installer) and painted to match the stove. They could cut the required clearance to the mantel in 1/2.

They are usually made of sheet metal, bent in a brake, and painted.

Status
Not open for further replies.