Fireplace Insert Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

geoffman

Jan 21, 2021
Muskoka, Ontario
Hey all,

At our cottage we have a Heritage Renaissance 2 insert located in our main living area. The ceiling is vaulted and we have 2 fans that we use to keep the air circulating. This will be the end of our 3rd winter here and although we are spending more time here due to covid, I feel like the insert just loves to eat wood.

Here is a pic:

I have spent plenty of time learning how to use the stove properly. If I load it up it fully it will go for a good 8 hours with good wood in it. The wood we are using is seasoned nicely.... (I have a moisture meter after figuring out green wood is after our first ever delivery was about 2/3rds green......)

I'm not sure when the stove was manufactured, maybe in the 90s?

I am wondering if an upgrade to something like this:

Would be worth it to cut down on our wood usage and also burn cleaner...

Does anyone have an insight? Our insert is non-catalytic but has a bypass damper for secondary burning. It does get hot, but I'm wondering if this type of new technology, and just a new stove overall (even if it is a non-cat) would be an upgrade to our current set up.

Thanks