Fireplace Insert Seal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TBaumunk

Dec 9, 2018
So, I've had a Quadrafire Grand Voyager wood fireplace insert for about 2 years now. It does a great job but the gaps between the cast iron decorative surround and the stone are becoming an issue with mice coming and going as well as its a tad drafty. I need to search the outside to see how they're getting in but I'd like to seal around it anyway. I tried fireplace calk but the gaps are just too big because the stone is very irregular. Any suggestions?

So, I've had a Quadrafire Grand Voyager wood fireplace insert for about 2 years now. It does a great job but the gaps between the cast iron decorative surround and the stone are becoming an issue with mice coming and going as well as its a tad drafty. I need to search the outside to see how they're getting in but I'd like to seal around it anyway. I tried fireplace calk but the gaps are just too big because the stone is very irregular. Any suggestions?
Like rob said seal it above the insert at the old damper it is much more effective way to do it.

Reactions: TBaumunk
Thanks for the advice. I thought the installers already did that but apparently if they did they didn't do a great job.