Flue Liner and Fireplace Opening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GMIKE

Feb 9, 2024
Chadds Ford, PA
I have a stone wood burning fireplace with an arched opening that’s 33” wide and 29” high at the center of the arch. The chimney is 30’ high and the terra cotta tiled flue has an interior dimension of 7” x 11”. We recently had a level 2 inspection performed that revealed gaps in the tile, and a wood burning insert was recommended. We’re hoping to continue using the open fireplace, but have been told that we’d have to insert an insulated liner and reduce the size of the opening. We were also told that the only way to reduce the opening is to add stone or other masonry materials at the opening, which would look terrible. Various online websites suggest that cast iron plates would also work. Is that true and are there other solutions?
Fire close view.jpg

I have a stone wood burning fireplace with an arched opening that’s 33” wide and 29” high at the center of the arch. The chimney is 30’ high and the terra cotta tiled flue has an interior dimension of 7” x 11”. We recently had a level 2 inspection performed that revealed gaps in the tile, and a wood burning insert was recommended. We’re hoping to continue using the open fireplace, but have been told that we’d have to insert an insulated liner and reduce the size of the opening. We were also told that the only way to reduce the opening is to add stone or other masonry materials at the opening, which would look terrible. Various online websites suggest that cast iron plates would also work. Is that true and are there other solutions?View attachment 324553
The clay liners could be removed to allow for the same size stainless liner to be put in place. You are currently at a 12 to 1 ratio which is fine for 30' tall. But I will tell you relining it for an open fireplace will probably cost as much if not more than an insert and oval liner. And you will still have very little heating efficiency

Thanks BHoller, We use the fireplace only occasionally and then for ambience and aesthetics. Heating efficiency isn't much of a concern, although it would be nice to eliminate the heating loss after we're done with the fire. We looked into knocking out the tiles, but the problem is that there are 3 flues in the chimney and the folks we've consulted are concerned that they'd damage the other flues. The wood inserts we've seen have too small viewing areas, which led us to look into ways to reduce the fireplace opening. Any ideas? Would fireplace doors work is the surround and trim are big enough?

Having had an open fireplace that we the put an insert into, I can tell you that we did not feel for a second that we lost out on any ambiance. You do get a hum from the fan, but I’d bet a lot of women especially, like the extra heat. I know my wife runs chillier than I do.

some inserts can be run with the door open and a fire screen in place

Wood stove with a big glass door. Part in and part out of the fireplace. That's what i would do.

Wood stove will be hard in this space; will need a rear exhaust rather than top, most likely.

Reactions: EbS-P
Wood stove will be hard in this space; will need a rear exhaust rather than top, most likely.
Yup rear exhaust for sure. Hopefully he has a big hearth either way.