Fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bradseubert

Dec 18, 2021
Southeast Wisconsin
Purchased a new house this summer and it has this Superior BR36 fireplace in it. Was looking to get an insert for it and went to the local fireplace store. The salesman told me they would have to take most of the stone off to get this thing out and an insert wasn't an option. Seems crazy to me?

Got home and am looking at it more and wondering if an can just cut this old one out with a sawsall? There must be some option to replace this without tearing all the stone off.

IMG_5952.jpg

What you have is a zero clearance fireplace. Unless written in both, your zero clearance and the insert manual, that inserts can be installed you cannot install an insert. What the shop was suggesting was replacing it with a new zero clearance model. The forum has many threads in this topic. My take is 1/3 don’t do anything, 1/3 replace with a new zero clearance and 1/3 remove and rebuild as an alcove for a stove. Last two significant costs.

Ebs-P is right. An insert needs a full masonry fireplace to be inserted in. A zero clearance fireplace does not have that. So you can't put an insert in there, but you can put a new zero clearance unit in there (fitting etc.)

Also note that zero clearance fireplaces have different chimney requirements than inserts and stoves.

Yea I am looking at same situation. Complete teardown of my brick and mantle. Reading thru all the installation instructions for new ZC fireplace, I am guessing the wall would have to be modified to meet combustible clearances of a new ZC. Looking at going with stone veneer, much lighter when wall gets redone. At least a year away from starting. Much cheaper to just invest in some insulation and sealing of top plates in the attic instead. I got a new furnace for the house last year.

After some more research this is turning into a large project, but I think still a project a want to tackle at some point.

I like the stone that is currently on the fireplace. What are the chances that I can just remove enough stone around the insert to get the old one out and re-frame for a new one without removing all the stone from the front and the sides? I'd like to just remove the mantel, remove the stone around the insert, re-frame and install the new insert and then patch the stone back in. This appears to be full stone and not thin veneer.

Looks like the mantel is also to low for all the inserts I am finding. I'll have to move that up about 12" and install some more stone.

After some more research this is turning into a large project, but I think still a project a want to tackle at some point.

I like the stone that is currently on the fireplace. What are the chances that I can just remove enough stone around the insert to get the old one out and re-frame for a new one without removing all the stone from the front and the sides? I'd like to just remove the mantel, remove the stone around the insert, re-frame and install the new insert and then patch the stone back in. This appears to be full stone and not thin veneer.

Looks like the mantel is also to low for all the inserts I am finding. I'll have to move that up about 12" and install some more stone.
Just to be clear. You should not be looking at inserts. You need a new fireplace not an insert

Reactions: PAbeech
Looking at the install instructions for the ZC fireplaces I want, all want no combustibles on the front wall. Pretty sure whats there now is drywall, maybe I need to do some testing. My house was built 1983. Mantle definitely is too low. I have the manual for my old ZC, doesn't have same restrictions. Also likely need metal studs for how the install is going to go with the gravity hot air ducts. A complete teardown is only way I see my project getting done. Depends on the install though and the framing. It's not that hard to frame the opening and put new cement board back up. I've got at least a year before i start my project.

Reactions: PAbeech
Looking at the install instructions for the ZC fireplaces I want, all want no combustibles on the front wall. Pretty sure whats there now is drywall, maybe I need to do some testing. My house was built 1983. Mantle definitely is too low. I have the manual for my old ZC, doesn't have same restrictions. Also likely need metal studs for how the install is going to go with the gravity hot air ducts. A complete teardown is only way I see my project getting done. Depends on the install though and the framing. It's not that hard to frame the opening and put new cement board back up. I've got at least a year before i start my project.
I just made a thread of my new zc fireplace into existing wood chase it shows durock on the outside to comply with pacific energys manual

If the stone is solid and you want to keep it, what is the back of the fireplace like? It looks from the exterior windows, it would be the outside of the house. Sometimes installers would actually find it preferable to go in from the back if the desire is to preserve the front. I have no idea if that would be feasible in your situation, but it’s at least worth considering if you haven’t thought of it.

Thats a good point for everyone in this situation. Minimize the inside destruction. In my case, the other side is the master bedroom. I can think of someone who wouldn't be happy disrupting that area. I am going with candles this season. I've got a roof project that is higher priority.

Well we finally decided this is something we want to tackle. I can handle the stone removal, and re framing, and new stone install. We had a local stove company out and they gave us a quote for a Quadrafire Pioneer II. I was all ready to pull the trigger but the price came in significantly higher than I was expecting to just set the stove and install the chimney.

Checked out another local fireplace store and they are pushing the Ambiance Elegance fireplaces. Anyone have any experience with these? I don't see much about them on here. I liked the look of it. The latch on the door felt a little cheap. Its a lighter stainless unit with a soapstone liner. The stove itself looks to be about $1,800 cheaper than the Quadrafire. Also uses a 6" chimney instead of the 8" on the Quadrafire.

The size and mantle height are better than some of the other options so that will make the re-framing and stone work easier.

Keep shopping around. See if you can locate a Valcourt Lafayette Ifp10RI or Osburn Horizon or Pacific Energy FP30.