Fireplace inserts....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylomnstr

Feeling the Heat
May 28, 2008
Staatsburg, NY
So, I'm redoing my basement and I currently have an old propane fireplace insert down there which I plan on using, but I'm curious how a new install would happen? All the photos I see online for these inserts have no exposed pipe. Isn't it code to have a shutoff valve inside somewhere? Otherwise, I would just be able to drill through the back of the fireplace and run the pipe directly to the rear of the insert. What am I missing here?

ylomnstr said:
So, I'm redoing my basement and I currently have an old propane fireplace insert down there which I plan on using, but I'm curious how a new install would happen? All the photos I see online for these inserts have no exposed pipe. Isn't it code to have a shutoff valve inside somewhere? Otherwise, I would just be able to drill through the back of the fireplace and run the pipe directly to the rear of the insert. What am I missing here?

First of all is the "old propane insert" in a fire place?
2nd, sounds like your "OPI" is a Room-vented (AKA vent-free) unit.
If it is, you may want to think about whether or not you REALLY want to use it.
Read some of the "Vent-Free" postings here & then decide.
As far as a shut off, are you talking about the venting or the gas supply?
Venting has no shut off...
Gas supply shut-offs are required by code...
Please elaborate a little or tell us what model you're talking about.

OK. I remember this one after looking at the pics.
Where did the old copper line attach to the unit?
Why can't you run new gas line the same way?

DAKSY said:
OK. I remember this one after looking at the pics.
Where did the old copper line attach to the unit?
Why can't you run new gas line the same way?

It goes behind the black surround. I did put in new black steel pipe and got rid of the old copper stuff. My question is, in the photos you see online, how do they have an insert and no pipe or shutoff valve inside the house. Or at least, that's how the pictures show it.

Generally, there a shut-off under the unit within a foot of the gas valve, in
the gas feed line.the last five feet or so is generally done with flexible stainless steel so you can
work with it in the confined space under the firebox & still get your connections
tight.

I would suggest you consult with a local pro. Its hard to help and explain things properly on here and we cannot physically see everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.