Fireplace-like stove or chimney-top fan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

YJHS2000

Jul 12, 2019
Cleveland, OH
Hi everybody, I'm a newbie looking for some advice. Here's some quick background:

I have always loved having a wood fireplace. I had one growing up, had one in my last home, and we frequently had a fire going in the winter (northeast Ohio), more for the love of the crackle and glow and warmth than for heating the whole house.

We recently bought a foreclosure home, and were devastated to find out (from our very trusted chimney sweep) that the fireplace is unsafe to use as is, mostly due to an overly high offset that appears have a caused a chimney fire in the past. Our sweep recommended two options: I chimney-top fan to increase the draw or a wood burning stove insert. He recommended against the chimney-top fan, which he said is extremely noisy and ruins the normal ambience of a fireplace.

I've looked at a couple inserts that have large viewing windows (Napolean EPI3, JOTUL C450). Would these give me what I'm looking for as a fireplace substitute (caring less about heat output and more about ambiance)? How noisy are the insert fans? Does anyone have experience with a chimney-top fan?

With a properly install and insulated liner there will be many choices for inserts. The two mentioned would do the job, but what actually is best is what fits well in this location. This is going to depend on fireplace size and the distance of nearby combustibles like the mantel if there is one.

Lots of choices that would fit. Is this a large room or open floorplan? In general an insert that is flush will need the blower running to convect heat. One that projects a bit out onto the hearth will heat better with the blower off. The greater challenge may be to find an insert that is ok for burning with the door open. If that is desired then look for inserts that have a screen option. This will be more of a challenge. The Osburn Matrix does have this option.

Lots of choices that would fit. Is this a large room or open floorplan? In general an insert that is flush will need the blower running to convect heat. One that projects a bit out onto the hearth will heat better with the blower off. The greater challenge may be to find an insert that is ok for burning with the door open. If that is desired then look for inserts that have a screen option. This will be more of a challenge. The Osburn Matrix does have this option.

Thanks! I'll check that out. The room with the fireplace is almost 300 sqft, but it opens up into the adjacent kitchen, which is roughly the same size.