Fireplace liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bumpa

Jan 1, 2017
Western Mass
Hello all, I have an inside 3 flue chimney, all flues lined with flexible stainless steel pipe. There was s wood stove in the fireplace when we bought the house, recently decided we'd like the ambiance of a fireplace instead. When I took the stove out, there was just the liner coming through the damper, no insulation or anything to keep heat from going right up. Wondering what I need to do to use this as a fireplace again, do I need to create a steel plate that covers the damper and the liner comes through that??
PS: I don't think the chimney was in bad shape, previous owners just liked spending money....

You would need to have that liner pulled out to begin with. It's not big enough to support an open fireplace. Then have the system inspected to be sure it's safe. If so, have a lock-top damper installed. It's a cap that seals down tight, since your original damper was compromised to run the stove liner.

I don't think the chimney was in bad shape, previous owners just liked spending money....
Or they wanted use able heat.

But yes what webby said pull the liner have it inspected and if in good shpe get a functional damper either a top sealer or the throat damper and burn away.

Thanks guys, yes they wanted usable heat, 2500 sq ft single level house with a gas hot air furnace, gas radiant floor, electric baseboard throughout, a woodstove (in fireplace) and a gas monitor heater! Apparently they didn't want oil....
I'm going to pull the liner, good chance the original damper is in the barn somewhere.

So I pulled the liner out and the chimney is in perfect condition. This thing puts out more heat than the woodstove ever did!! It's a heatilator unit and boy does it work. No draft problems at all, just gotta get the flip top damper on now. Thanks for the input.

So I pulled the liner out and the chimney is in perfect condition. This thing puts out more heat than the woodstove ever did!! It's a heatilator unit and boy does it work. No draft problems at all, just gotta get the flip top damper on now. Thanks for the input.
I find that very hard to believe. even the worst stove should easily be able to double the heat output of the best open fireplace.

I think there was a group decision to let that comment slide. Lol.

You can fool yourself, sometimes even those around you too. But there's no fooling the Hearth regulars into thinking a open fireplace is outperforming a woodstove.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
I find that very hard to believe. even the worst stove should easily be able to double the heat output of the best open fireplace.
I agree, but we never had heat come out of the vents and now you can't hold your hand on them. The woodstove was a Vermont Castings. At any rate my wife is happy, mission accomplished.

Personally I would've looked at replacing the insert or installing/replacing a fan in the unit if possible. To each their own but now you have a terribly inefficient setup whether you want to believe it or not. You may not have gotten heat from the so called vents you speak of because they were not designed to have any effect when utilizing an insert. Now you will be the one spending the money heating all that air you'll be sending very rapidly up that flue!

Reactions: kennyp2339