Fireplace Mystery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nleven

Nov 13, 2019
NY
Hi everyone, I am new to this site and its my first time posting in a forum, so go easy on me! I've done some research and have read many other posts to make sure that answers to my questions are not already here/easily found and even though I've found some helpful tips, I still need some more input. So here it goes:

I recently purchased a home in Dutchess County, New York. When purchasing, the owner -and our inspector - both told us that the fireplace was not working and needed a "new firebox" - to note, this is my first fireplace. The firebox is metal and is buckled and cracked - you will see this in pic attached . I've been told that this is due to overheating of some kind.

We have had three separate "chimney experts" come to access what we should do and how we can get ourselves up and running. First guy told us, no way you can ever use this fireplace, get an insert - $6K. Next guy told us, I'll patch the crack and sweep you out - you should be good to go - $200 And the third guy told us that IF we wanted to attempt to use the fireplace we'd need a welder to weld over the buckle (to flatten the surface), then we'd have to see if the flue/damper is rotted/corroded and if NOT, we can reline the chimney and use the fireplace. This last guy also suggested we just get an insert - for the money we'd spend on trying to repair, it would be better spent economically speaking - to repair approx 3K, to buy and install insert approx 4K .

The question I have here is -- HOW DO WE KNOW? Is a buckle just a buckle that we can get welded/repaired for a few hundred bucks to allow us to use the fireplace this season while we save to purchase an insert? Is the insert really the way to go if uncertain and will they remove that firebox before inserting? (we were told Jotul is the way to go - though it seems pricey) You can see that the brick is black surrounding the fireplace, so they did have some issues with smoke it seems. Images are the firebox, the outside and looking up the chimney.

Thank you in advance - Knowledge is power and I'm so grateful.
Nicole

Attachments

• fireplace1.jpg
    fireplace1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 144
  • fireplace2.jpg
    fireplace2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 134
  • fireplace3.jpg
    fireplace3.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 139
  • fireplace4.jpg
    fireplace4.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 138
  • fireplace5.jpg
    fireplace5.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 133
  • fireplace6.jpg
    fireplace6.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 136
Wow, quite a divergence amongst the so called "experts"

Were any of the 3 inspectors certified chimney sweeps, earning the CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America). Like many professions, there are those who work and those who work and earn professional recognition. I would tend to believe the CSIA opinion above others. If none of the inspectors were certified, then I suggest you get a 4th opinion. You can locate such an expert from their website (I am not a sweep so I have no vested interest, just my recommendation).

Second is to determine how you intend to use the fireplace. If you plan on just being a weekend and holiday burner, then an insert with its required install may not be worth it. Keep in mind if you plan on becoming a regular burner, you will need to obtain several cords of wood, have the space to store the same and the time and desire to gather, process wood and load the fireplace. If your personal circumstances do not allow this, then you again have to determine if an insert is appropriate. You may end up deciding to take the fireplace offline and retain it as a decoration only if it is too costly to repair and you do not plan on using it frequently.

Reactions: Nleven
Looks like there may have been a metal liner installed at some point?

From what is showing, the recommendation for installing an insert with a full stainless liner looks like the best solution.

Your heatform metal firebox is shot. Yes it may be able to be welded but that would be a very short term fix. If you want to keep an open fireplace that metal can be cut out and a masonry firebox can be laid in it's place. But that is not cheap and it will stil not be a heat producer. I would go with an insert if it was me

Yes, all of the "experts" were certified CSIA sweeps - the last one was the one I trusted the most, as his advice mirrors bhollers advice. It is a weekend home, but to be frank, why buy a home in the mountains with no fireplace? The insert feels like the best bet and a money saver in the long run. And seeing that many of the inserts have no pricing online, the two quotes I received for the Jotul 450 have been consistent at 3K plus 1K for install. Seems like the way to go. Thanks to you all!

As a cheap solution to a nonfunctional fireplace I used alcohol burners for several seasons. Looked ok. With all 3 running it was rated at 15000 btus. It was just ok. If you can afford the insert that’s the way to go. If you don’t have any truly dry wood just buy sawdust bricks or logs for this year and enjoy the new inert.