Fireplace Newbie Needing Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

TurkII

Oct 20, 2013
CT
I know this sounds dumb but I am a complete fireplace newbie. I grew up without a fireplace and bought a house that has a fireplace over the summer. I think I need some help and advice about the most efficient ways to use my fireplace. Preferably without burning my house down.

I just had it inspected by a professional and have been told the fireplace and chimney are in excellent shape. The fireplace is a Martin Wood Burning Fireplace, model SCF36M. Hopefully someone can help answer a few questions about it....

- There is a metal mesh screen and glass doors. Clearly the mesh screen should be closed when burning but better to leave glass doors open or shut?

- How long after a fire burns out should I leave the damper open for?

- The fresh air intake is below the fireplace in the basement and there is a level on the left side of the firebox that opens and closes the fresh air intake (according to the manual). This level appears to be stuck.... or I'm jus not pulling it hard enough. What direction is this lever suppose to go in? Is it "pull up for open" or "rotate left to close" or something like that??

- The fan assembly does not seem to operate... There is power to the 110v electrical box under the fireplace that the fan assembly is plugged into but nothing happens when I hit the switch. The fan assembly is labeled as a Martin Fan Assembly model FA2. Do fan assemblies go bad and need to be replaced? Would it be more efficient to replace it with a different style blower assembly? The FA2 consists only of dual 2-3" fans on either side of the area below the fireplace.

Thanks in advance, and again - sorry to be that guy with the dumb questions!

I don't have any experience with that unit, but have you had a fire yet?

Perhaps the fans won't kick on until the temp of the fireplace is high enough?

Welcome to the site and good luck!

I don't have any experience with that unit, but have you had a fire yet?

Perhaps the fans won't kick on until the temp of the fireplace is high enough?

Welcome to the site and good luck!

Yes - have had a few "practice" fires before winter comes. The fans don't come on regardless of switch position or whether or not a fire is lit. There also doesn't seem to be any sort of temperature sensor, just two fans with wiring to a switch and a plug.

There could be a thermometer switch in the fans to where they won't come on unless you have a hot fire going. Not a small duraflame fire, but a real fire. If not the case then the fans could be shot.
A couple of options for getting real heat would be either a fireplace wood burning insert. Or depending on your hearth setup, placing a wood stove in front of your fireplace opening which will give you the most heat. Pictures and dimensions will help to determine what you have.
Welcome to the most addicting forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.