Fireplace Pellet Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

msb91932

Nov 19, 2012
Hello from the Poconos! Does anyone have any input on a pellet burning fireplace insert? My sister is a widow and just bought a small house. It has a fireplace, and she has expressed an interest in a fireplace insert that burns pellets. I have a pellet stove that I really love, but her house is small and would prefer an insert. The house is less than 800 square feet, but if it's like any other house in the Poconos, insulation is minimal. Her main heating source is electric baseboard heat.

Thanks, Mike

Mike - I removed a propane insert and installed a Harman Accentra insert that I have been very happy with. Two inserts would fit in the hole size-wise, but the Harman was a better deal and performance reviews on this forum were positive. I had to install the zero clearance box because some of the clearances were close. Periodic maintenance (for most, once per year) requires you to pull out the Accentra insert, so that must be considered because the unit is very heavy.

My advice would be to measure the space and see what will stoves fit. That may help determine what stoves you can consider.