Fireplace question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davesNJ

Jan 20, 2014
Here's a photo of a 25-year old fireplace that I had converted to gas and now plan to update with a new surround and hearth. You can see that there are slots in the top and bottom of the face. When I first moved to this house there were pieces of rubber inserted in each of the slots but over time some fell out and others went missing so I removed them all. I wonder if these slots have any function or if I can cover the bottom row with tile. Thanks.

Attachments

• Fireplace 001.JPG
    Fireplace 001.JPG
    271.3 KB · Views: 191
Is there a rating plate on the unit? That can help to ID the manufacturer & determine whether or not those slots are required to keep the unit cool when the fire's burning...

Is there a rating plate on the unit? That can help to ID the manufacturer & determine whether or not those slots are required to keep the unit cool when the fire's burning...

Thanks. Yes, I found it. It's a Preway DW42. I see in the manual the manufacturer recommends not covering these slots. So, that answers my question. On a cold day there's quite a draft coming from these holes. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.