Fireplace repair, gasket or cement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

farmguy

Sep 7, 2016
washington
Hello all, new here.
I have a Vermont Casting winter warm system and I am currently replacing the cast iron side of the unit. I have removed the top and right side (the cracked side) and in the process the left side and back is a little loose and it was assembled with furnace cement(?). So my question, do I need to go ahead and remove the remaining side and back and reseal/rebuild the entire unit or can I just do the pieces I have off?

And a second question, what is the difference between gasket cement and furnace cement?

....yes, I'm a rookie at all this...

Welcome. I'd take it all apart, clean joints and then reassemble using furnace cement per instructions on the seams. Furnace cement is much thicker and more spreadable than gasket cement.

Status
Not open for further replies.