Fireplace replacement options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EmilyKH

Dec 5, 2020
Wisconsin
We bought a home about two years ago with a 40 year old double sided wood burning fireplace in the basement. We’d really like to start using it, but realize that it’s not energy efficient (or attractive) as is. I’d like to know what are options are. I’m realizing that just popping a see through gas insert in, isn’t possible without tearing it down. So is the only option two back to back gas inserts? It’s quite deep, about 34 inches. Would it be crazy or possible to put some sort of small wood burning stove in the opening?? We’re looking for a solution that won’t break the bank.
F9879464-27A8-4C3A-86CF-4DD47FB75B19.jpeg37386F3E-1865-4D02-A75E-7D5E36C184C9.jpeg

I'd consider picking a desirable side and possibly closing off or camouflaging the opposing opening to hide the unattractive backside of whatever standard stove/insert you install. Possibly use a fireplace screen.