fireplace surround identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

paddmcbev

Jan 14, 2024
Cincinnati
I recently bought a house in the Cincinnati area, built around 1931 that has this fireplace surround and I would like to know if it may be original to the house or added later. My wife & daughter don't like it and want to tear it out and replace it but I would rather have a valid reason not to and wanted to know more about it

20220410_125557.jpg

That's pretty cool. Looks like one from the 1930s. Try to save it if removed. It should go to a home restorer.

Reactions: kcmclellan
Thanks, I agree that it needs to be salvaged at the very least and for now I'm standing firm that it stays. We may see if the fireplace/chimney itself can be restored too

I'm not sure something looks off about it. No signs of age. And it almost looks like a faux finish

Reactions: webby3650
It Appears to be a faux finished imitation fireplace to me.

It's possible it is a period reproduction. In our area Pratt and Larson still make great period tiles. Still, these repos are not cheap. It should be salvaged rather than trashed. If possible, get it appraised. original, the value may be surprising. I'm not saying this is the case here but some Batchelder fireplaces go for $25,000 at auction.

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
It's possible it is a period reproduction. In our area Pratt and Larson still make great period tiles. Still, these repos are not cheap. It should be salvaged rather than trashed.
Oh I agree even if it's a repo unless it's actually just faux and made out of wood which I have seen. It's hard to tell without being there in person

worth checking out and not trashing a original tile surround

Reactions: bholler
I think the hearth is original, and this modern piece is sitting in front of the original fireplace.