fireplace x users

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sambo

Jan 8, 2009
New to site, recently installed fireplace X 44 elite been burning since Oct. The problem is constantly cleaning creosote buidup on glass. Is there a product that works the best? Am i doing anything wrong? The wood Im burning is seasoned but still getting a lot of blacking out of glass. Does anyone have a fireplace X with similiar problems that can shed some light?

I have the 36 & had some issues with keeping the glass clean the first year burning. Here's my 2 cents:

1. For cleaning the glass - Rutland Stove & Glass cleaner is AWESOME!!

2. From your post it sounds like you're getting more than "just some gunk in the corners" - if the entire glass panel is gunked you could have any number of issues such as:

Wood not perfectly seasoned (had that the first year)
Not charring the load / getting the fire hot before engaging Cat
Turning the air down too quickly once Cat is engaged

I love my 36 but will be the first to admit that the airwash on these units doesn't work very well when the air is turned down low. Even with perfectly seasoned wood you can "smoke your glass" when burning on low if you shut the air down to quickly but less than perfect or "slightly seasoned" wood will do it all the time.

That aside I have found that you can all but eliminate smoking the glass (except for the corners) by making sure the wood is charred well & the fire is good & hot before you back the air down.

When I re-load I let her rip for a little while in Bypass mode & wait till the logs are all charred & good flames established before 'll engage the cat. After engaging I'll back the air down to about 1/2 (a little more or less depending on how the flames react) - leave it on 1/2 for 10-15 minutes then down to 1/4 for a bit. Once I see plenty of coals & strong flames I can back the air all the way down & get those great "rolling flames" @ the top of the firebox, sometimes you might have to open the air just a bit to get these but either way once these are established you'll get a good clean burn so long as you wood is well seasoned.

Bottom line - Get it going good before you engage the Cat & adjust air down in stages making sure you don't loose flame. Once it's hot & the load is going well you'll see the flames dancing & rolling under the Cat at which point you'll have the air all the way down or just open "a crack" & you're good to go.

I installed the 44 this season. (Man does it crank out the heat! Love it).

I have noticed the glass "gunking" up when I shut the air down too. I'll try the approach of the above poster, probably need to be more patient - thanks.

As for cleaning, I have found that a wet paper towel dipped in cool ashes works great and cheap (trick learned on this forum) - cleans it right up, then a quick windex wipe to pretty it up.

Thank a lot , Definitely Love the Heat, I'm working on getting better ( seasoned ) wood and I'll try all your advise. Is it my imagination or is glass turning orange? Noticed your addresses we recently, moved to RI from Somers NY.
Thanks again

I see you got out of New York in time to save your wallet LOL.

Regarding the glass - I've seen mine with an orange hue to it.........hey that's better than all black!!

Status
Not open for further replies.