Fireplace Xtrordinair 36 Elite Performance Expectations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Overwire

Jan 3, 2023
Forestville, CA
Hello,

I purchased a home a couple years ago that has a Fireplace Xtrordinair 36 Elite and have a few questions about the performance (issues) to understand whether what I experience is normal or if there are things I can do to improve performance.

I like to use this fireplace as a primary heat source during the winter but there are two issues I have that make this difficult:

1) Ash accumulation is excessive. I can only get about 18 hours of burn time before the ashes are too thick to add any more wood (>6"). I have to remove ashes every day and start a new fire every day. A sustained or 24/7 burn is not possible. It doesn't matter if I run the fireplace hot (damper open) or a little cooler.

2) Maximum burn time is only about 3 hours (completely full firebox, damper turned all the way down or as low as possible to still keep the fire going). This makes an overnight burn impossible unless I get up a couple times to reload the firebox.

I am burning mostly 2 year seasoned oak with some Madrone and California Laural mixed in. Outside temps run about 28-35 F (low) and 50-65 F (high) during the winter where I am at. The heat output of the unit is good but there is no way I can do a sustained or 24/7 burn with this unit.

I'm just wondering if this is the type of performance I should expect from this unit? If not, what should I look into to improve burn times and minimize ash build up?

You have almost a 3 cubic foot firebox, so you should be able to get a much longer burn. Between burning and coaling stages, you should be getting at least 8 hours. With your temps, I'd think you should be over 8 easily.

You don't have to let the fire go out to remove the ashes, stir the coals and the ash will drop to the bottom and compress. Load on top of the coals!

Reactions: sluggo65
Hello,

I purchased a home a couple years ago that has a Fireplace Xtrordinair 36 Elite and have a few questions about the performance (issues) to understand whether what I experience is normal or if there are things I can do to improve performance.

I like to use this fireplace as a primary heat source during the winter but there are two issues I have that make this difficult:

1) Ash accumulation is excessive. I can only get about 18 hours of burn time before the ashes are too thick to add any more wood (>6"). I have to remove ashes every day and start a new fire every day. A sustained or 24/7 burn is not possible. It doesn't matter if I run the fireplace hot (damper open) or a little cooler.

2) Maximum burn time is only about 3 hours (completely full firebox, damper turned all the way down or as low as possible to still keep the fire going). This makes an overnight burn impossible unless I get up a couple times to reload the firebox.

I am burning mostly 2 year seasoned oak with some Madrone and California Laural mixed in. Outside temps run about 28-35 F (low) and 50-65 F (high) during the winter where I am at. The heat output of the unit is good but there is no way I can do a sustained or 24/7 burn with this unit.

I'm just wondering if this is the type of performance I should expect from this unit? If not, what should I look into to improve burn times and minimize ash build up?
I have an Xtroardinair 36 Elite and it sounds like you're sucking in too much air from somewhere to be burning through wood that fast. Are all you're gaskets in good shape and are you pushing in the combustor damper lever and closing the top vent once the fire gets hot enough to activate the combustor (approx 500degrees)? I can get an 8-10hr burn out my fireplace when fully loaded at night before bed time. Granted just coals in the morning but easy to get another fire going if needed. I clean out ashes about once a week or so.

Last edited:
Just a side note. The peening on the Artisan version of the 36 and 44 elites is actually hand hammered by a real blacksmith. I saw him in action. His biceps are larger than my thighs.