Fireplace Xtrordinair ash build up.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

uncrate

Sep 11, 2020
Good morning everyone,

I finally picked up a new to me Fireplace Xtrordinaire large flush hybrid-fyre and installed it two weeks back. I'm new to these style of inserts but so far I'm absolutely loving it as it cranks out a lot of heat. It came with the Green Start option, which I thought was gimmicky, but actually is quite easy and useful whenever my wife wants to get a fire going. I've run it only on the weekends so far and have read plenty of the forum here on when to engage the catalyst and obtaining longer burn times but my biggest issue is ash buildup. I've read in several other posts (older from 2017/18 which is the same age as my insert) with the same insert, that they use it as a main source of heat and clean it out every two weeks or so. I'm not sure how they are achieving this. If I start on Friday, by Monday morning I have about 3-4 inches of ash built up on the bottom which makes it annoying to add wood as I will be contending with ash spilling out. Are there any pointers on how to make sure it all burns down? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Additional info....I only engage the catalyst after the probe reaches over 500 degrees. On average, I'm running around 900 degrees when engage but I've seen it as high as 1050. After it's been running for about 1 hour, I adjust the air intake to the halfway setting to increase the burn time. Also, I burn seasoned maple wood.

Last edited: