Fireside Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MainePellethead

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2007
Southern Maine
Just curious if anyone had an experience/opinion on these pellets. the local HD is selling them for just under 230 a ton. There called Fireside but didnt look at them close enough to see who actually makes them. Good? Bad?

This is one of the three brands I am trying out this year
as this is my first season with this stove.
These pellets burn hot.
I read somewhere on here they are made by Energex.
From my experience with them so far, I would use them again.

I've gotten into the habit of grabbing three or four bags of pellets whereever I see them sold. That's usually more than enough to tell if there are heavy ash, or lots of clinkers, at least in the Harman P68.

It's also becoming evident , that last years good manufacturors, are not necessarily the goods ones this year.

A few I ignore. Pennington is one. But, on the same token, some of the brands I've found at Sam's have been real good.

Things to watch for, especially later in the season, when the sales pop up. Grab the corners of the bag and squeeze. Often, if these are stored poorly, the corners will get wet, or along the edges. Any doubts, ignore the bag. My feeling is once humidity gets into the bag, the pellets are just going to burn poorly, and often clog things up.

I went down to Tractor Supply a few weeks ago, wanting to grab a few bags from the supplier in Corinth Maine. They were out and I ended up with another brand, Premier pellets, and they were great for $205 a ton. I'd get them again. Usually if you ask the dealer or store for the ton price when buying a small amount of bags, many will give it to you at the lower price. I refuse to buy a whole skid unless I can try some first. They often understand.

Must be some other tips from long time users ?

Status
Not open for further replies.