Fireside Ultra DOB 11-2012

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeinRI

Jan 11, 2013
West Greenwich RI
New P61A owner and i'm on my 12th bag, tried Green Supreme, Stove Chow and some 6-2012 vintage Fireside Ultra's. Just bought my first ton of 11-2012 vintage Fireside Ultra's and notice all the pellets are very uniform and only about 1/2" long.

Any comments on the ash? its very powdery and light.this is after about 18 hours on room temp 75.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 205
I'm not a Harman burner but that burn pot looks very full for only 18 hours of burn. My first inclination is to think you have an airflow issue of some sort. I'm sure the Harman burners will chime in with better info.

No airflow issue there....Glass is way too clean to be having any fuel/air ratio issues. And the flame looks "peppy" and a nice hot whitish-yellow color. Possibly just a bit more ash than other brands but for the price those pellets are a decent value for some burners. Burn away there MikeinRI....everything looks good.

Thanks CTPellet, this was after being on stove temp about 2 and feed 3 from 11pm till 6 am. FYI I was a resident of Winsted 1970-1978..

Thanks CTPellet, this was after being on stove temp about 2 and feed 3 from 11pm till 6 am. FYI I was a resident of Winsted 1970-1978..
Winsted, CT is also home to one of the most prestigious members of this forum!

Can't really comment on the amount of ash as I don't have a Harman but Firesides have been my best burning pellet since I got my stove. Stove chow has been great as well.

No airflow issue there....Glass is way too clean to be having any fuel/air ratio issues. And the flame looks "peppy" and a nice hot whitish-yellow color. Possibly just a bit more ash than other brands but for the price those pellets are a decent value for some burners. Burn away there MikeinRI....everything looks good.

So it is normal for the ash to fill the burn pot like that?

So it is normal for the ash to fill the burn pot like that?
yeah...and then ideally, as the pellets feed, it just pushes the ash over into the ash pan below.

yeah...and then ideally, as the pellets feed, it just pushes the ash over into the ash pan below.
Being a Quad owner ash in the pot is a bad thing for me. But if that is the way it is designed and the glass is nice and clean then, looks normal to me :)

Burning 05/12 FS Ultra's and i have a ton of Somerset stashed and with another warm winter here in CT not guna waste them unless it get's in the single digits..

Looks good to me. I open the door about once a day and pull off that ash real quick on my Harman. The ash color, amount, texture, etc will change with different brands

I leave my ash yours looks a little longer than mine maybe turn up your feed rate a bit. Fire sides burned hot for me a little ashy but clinker city in my stove.

I have to get a few more bags under my belt. Stove temp 4 and I have 2700 feet pretty warm, this is first floor 20 feet from stove, other end of the hosue is 75 and up stairs in all the bedrooms, 68 in the corners of the room.

83.jpg

Wowsers!! 83*.....

I thought I liked it Hot!

Burn looks good. Nice set-up :)

19% humidity? that's nose bleed city waiting to happen!!

Reactions: gbreda
Nice lookin stove there Mike ! Welcome to the funny farm :)

No issue with that ash. I burned 15 bags of FSU and had similar ash. The MWP this year are about the same while giving good heat; and that is what the real goal here is. As CT mentioned the glass is clean an d that stove has a huge ash pan, so you have no worries there. I just clear off the ash in the AM and again when I get home from work. When the stove is running harder, it tends to have much less buildup than on lower burns. Also a quick wipe of the glass daily with a dry cloth ( I use an old white sock) will keep it real clean as the FSU and MWP ash did not give more than a light film that wiped off easily.​
Happy burning and stay warm !​
Enjoy ! !​
ETA​
19% humidity? that's nose bleed city waiting to happen!!
Agreed, get a humidifier going, you will feel better for it​

Hi Mike
The pot looks normal
I am on my 35th bag of two tons of fireside ultra. I am very new at this game but I have had no issues with them. The stove cleans up nice during my weekly. Also the best priced pellet in my area

Feed rate seems a little low. I run mine a little over 3.5. Might not be feeding enough to push to the ash out.

My local HD has Fireside for $209. a ton deal or no deal? I heard these were re-bagged Cubex, not sure if hardwood, softwood or a blend.

My local HD has Fireside for $209. a ton deal or no deal? I heard these were re-bagged Cubex, not sure if hardwood, softwood or a blend.

That would be rebagged Energex. Same as the Energex green bag from Canada.

I think its wise to try a few just to be sure.

Fireside Ultras are rebagged Energex Canadian......

Edit: Jay beat me by a click....

Status
Not open for further replies.