Fireside Ultra Pellets from Home Depot - Good, Bad, or Ugly??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mgambuzza

Mar 12, 2006
Syracuse, NY
Saw Home Depot was selling Fireside Ultra pellets this year. Was wondering if anyone here had any experiences - good, bad, or other with these pellets. I have Harman and Quad pellet stoves so if anyone has used them I look forward to your responses.

I think that I will go with them being Ugly. Never really seen pellets that I can say looked cute.
Don

Tried about 5 bags last year.....
Burned about the same as the rest but burned dirty, left the ash that looked like coffee grounds. they left absolutely no clinkers in the burnpot, that was a first for me......
Try a couple of bags to see how they are this year...

thay are supposed to be from energex
they just changed the name so they could make more money
and hd wouldn't put out the smaller guys by dropping the price

What is the price?

I am planning on buying two bags to try in my stoves to see how they burn. The price is right - $215 a ton at the moment. I have been trying to get Dry creek, but local dealers have been saying that they cannot keep up with demand at moment and some have extensive waiting lists for the pellets - shortage of raw material. I'll post when I get results - I hate to wish for colder weather to try the stoves especially considering the short period of good weather we have here in Syracuse!

I dunno about waiting lists....we can still get pellets quite easily. Your pellets very well may be from Energex, but most likely have a different name to defray "competitive situations", such as selling to the big boxes. If I were carrying Energex, and the local Home Depot started carrying then, I'd find another supplier. Its a well-known fact that HD requires things from vendors that the vendors dont give to others, such as dating, guaranteed sales, onsite representation, price-lockins, etc. By supporting a vendor who grants these perks to another retailer and not to me, arent I subsidizing the big box by buying from that vendor? The worst thing about the big boxes is that even though they are a "big carrot" to some vendors, they tend to quickly find out that they are dealing with the devil. Many, MANY vendors have been put out of business by their decisions to deal with the big boxes. A vendor gets in there, other retailers see this, they drop the vendor. Next thing ya know, the big box is the vendors #1 customer, and they ahve very few others. What happens when all the eggs are in one basket? The big box then makes demands that are unfeasable, the vendor says "we cant do that", the big box says "bye-bye", and the vendor is screwed. Good luck, Energex.

I am not satisfied with that Brand at all(Fireside Ultra) lots of ash, and alot cooler burning than my usual brand Lignetics.
I was actually on my way to purchase a ton of Dry Creek which I have heard alot about, but I stopped at Home Depot for some odds and ends and I let the ol lady talk me into the Fireside Ultra. My bad for not testing it first, but i bought a few bags of Home Depot Pellets earlier in the year and it was ok and the price was cheaper than the Dry Creek by $40 a ton so I gave it a shot.
It burns ok once in a while it goes out(other brands didn't do this) because of the excess ash my stove squeaks now when the ash builds up heavily in the burn plate. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.