Fireview stove pipe clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jtwombly

Dec 26, 2018
Pa
Hello,

I am installing a fireview with singlewall stove pipe and heat shield from woodstock. I called Woodstock and they informed me that the heat shield is only needed for the first vertical 36”. My question is does anybody know what the clearance to combustibles is after that 36” heatshield? I needed at 15 degree offset to get in the center of roof truss and am only about 9” from the wall going up through the ceiling.

18" for single-wall pipe. 6" for double-wall.

I don’t see how you can use single wall pipe on that stove since the pipe is off the back. Your single wall pipe needs to be 18” from the wall, unless you’ve got a rear heat shield on the stove, and shielding on the pipe. I don’t see anyway it would only need shielded 36” up.

I don’t see how you can use single wall pipe on that stove since the pipe is off the back. Your single wall pipe needs to be 18” from the wall, unless you’ve got a rear heat shield on the stove, and shielding on the pipe. I don’t see anyway it would only need shielded 36” up.
18" for single-wall pipe. 6" for double-wall.

Both correct. It doesn't matter that Woodstock told you 36" or not. Code requires the above mentioned clearances. Even if you got something in writing from the manufacturer saying otherwise (try it, see if they do it) it could still get flagged by code or an insurance inspector/adjuster.

Both correct. It doesn't matter that Woodstock told you 36" or not. Code requires the above mentioned clearances. Even if you got something in writing from the manufacturer saying otherwise (try it, see if they do it) it could still get flagged by code or an insurance inspector/adjuster.
A manufacturers specs override code when they are for a listed product. It is done all the time.

The "Authority having jurisdiction" always has the final say.
Yes but if the ahj is actually following code they should refer to manufacturers specs for listed appliances. We don't go by the default 36" clearances for listed stoves do we?

I very familiar with how this works... thanks.
I wouldn’t want anything but double wall on my Fireview 9” from the wall. This thing really drafts hard even on my short chimney. Couldn’t begin to imagine in the event of a flue fire. Just get some double wall pipe! I really think you might have something confused with what WS told you. Shielded single wall, maybe, but not unprotected.

I very familiar with how this works... thanks.
I wouldn’t want anything but double wall on my Fireview 9” from the wall. This thing really drafts hard even on my short chimney. Couldn’t begin to imagine in the event of a flue fire. Just get some double wall pipe! I really think you might have something confused with what WS told you. Shielded single wall, maybe, but not unprotected.
I agree I would use double wall as well personally but according to code if they test it they can set the clearance for single wall.

I agree I would use double wall as well personally but according to code if they test it they can set the clearance for single wall.
My Fireview will smoke my double wall if I leave the bypass open any little bit too long, even when left on high with the bypass closed I can smell hot paint at times. I mean this thing really rips! I can’t imagine the clearance is correct.

Reactions: Woody Stover
My Fireview will smoke my double wall if I leave the bypass open any little bit too long, even when left on high with the bypass closed I can smell hot paint at times. I mean this thing really rips! I can’t imagine the clearance is correct.
I honestly don't know the stove. I am just going by the code. But I never install to minimums regardless.

Reactions: webby3650
I just looked the manual up. They only want a UL listed pipe shield on the first 36” of vertical pipe as was stated to get 10” of clearance. I get the pipe shield, I don’t see why it’s not needed after 36”? That goes against everything known. Can you imagine a flue fire in single wall pipe 10” from the wall?

I just looked the manual up. They only want a UL listed pipe shield on the first 36” of vertical pipe as was stated to get 10” of clearance. I get the pipe shield, I don’t see why it’s not needed after 36”? That goes against everything known. Can you imagine a flue fire in single wall pipe 10” from the wall?
I don't know but if it's in their ul approved manual it has to have passed testing.

I don't know but if it's in their ul approved manual it has to have passed testing.
But yet you can’t replace crappy prefab fireplace doors with high quality doors? It’s all about where the moneys at. They aren’t going to test anything that doesn’t make money for the company...

But yet you can’t replace crappy prefab fireplace doors with high quality doors? It’s all about where the moneys at. They aren’t going to test anything that doesn’t make money for the company...
I agree it would be great if there was an aftermarket testing procedure for accessories. And even inserts. But right now there simply isn't any way to get anything approved for zero clearance stuff after the fact.

Pipe temps fall drastically for every inch away from the stove. Tested clearances override defaults. I would still err on the safe side and go several inches over manufacturer minimums.

Reactions: bholler
I agree it would be great if there was an aftermarket testing procedure for accessories. And even inserts. But right now there simply isn't any way to get anything approved for zero clearance stuff after the fact.
Code approval and common sense sometime diverge.

Reactions: Woody Stover