Firewarm 4kw. Door not flush, air always going in, are fumes coming out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveywavey

Dec 20, 2013
Ireland
Hi folks,
I'm new around here, so forgive me if I'm posting a commonly asked question. I check around and couldn't find previous threads directly relating to my question.

As said, my Firewarm 4kw Stove is causing me to worry a little.

http://www.firewarm.ie/freestanding_stove

I hadn't seen anyone mention them, so the link above should clarify what kind it is. I'm not advertising, I swear on it.

The door isn't closing fully, and as a result, you can clearly see the fire through the gap in the door. I'll put a picture below. I don't know if this is due to warping over time or maybe if the door was never quite right for the unit, but either way, it's inefficient, right? As it always has that extra little bit of air supply coming in and will burn faster than it should.

It's burning really well. The room is too hot if anything at times, and so you'd wonder what the problem is.

I'm concerned about what might be coming out through that gap when the fire is not blazing. Like after it gets going initially, it blazes away for some time, and then settles down and just gently burns away until it's time to refuel. What's all this about secondary burn technology? Are the fume recirculating around inside the fire and being used over and over again? When my fire is in this idle, gently burning state, I'm concerned that some carbon monoxide might be making its way out of that gap and into my room. I've got a window open all of the time, so I don't think there's any major cause for alarm. Plus, I've got a CO alarm as well as CO detector strips, so I'm pretty safe I reckon.

But are gaps between doors and the unit safe? I suspect not, but my landlady seems convinced it's fine.

Thanks for reading this everyone, and I'd appreciate all and any advice or comments on this situation.

Oh here are a few pictures. The first two just give a general overview but the third one had the flash off and you can see the fire through the gap.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it.

David 20131220_205237.jpg20131220_205354.jpg20131220_205418.jpg

Sorry about the pictures being so bloody awkward and sideways! Couldn't work out any other way around it.

Also, I should mention that the rope on the door was replaced recently, and that didn't really help the situation that much.

Thanks again.

Look for an adjustment in the handle/latch - many stoves can be adjusted by the latch or hinges or both. Really need to address that issue. Not so much for anything coming out with regard to fumes because there is negative pressure inside the stove as long as there is heat in there but you need to close it off for control. Great potential for a run away stove with air leaks.

Wait for it to cool and tell us what you find.

Reactions: daveywavey
Thanks BobUrban.
Can I be so cheeky as to ask what you mean by negative pressure inside the stove? Without understanding the term, I'm inferring that negative pressure means that fumes only travel one direction, that is, up the chimney? And when you say 'run away stove' do you just mean that it'll burn off too quickly and I'll have less control over it? Sorry for the pedantry, it's just I'm not sure what you mean.

Thanks again for your response, and I'll certainly take your advice and see if any handle or latch adjustments can be made when it's cooled down.

Cheers!

Exactly - heat rises so as long as there is any heat in there the air is going in and up through that leak. In the winter it will always be warmer in the stove than outside so air flow will remain in - not out even when the stove is cool. This is why an open fireplace robs your home of heat.

Runaway means you get it going and the fire and subsequent heat/temp keeps rising to out-of-control with no means of control. A bad thing for sure. Be careful - your family thanks you

Thanks again for explaining that BubUrban. I'll check see if any adjustments can be made later and might be back with another question or two.

Cheers.

My door handle is pretty loose and I might be able to make some adjustments but I fear it might simply be worn out from being mistreated or perhaps just overuse. I'll get some spanners later on and see if i can get the handle to tighten up a little.

Regarding the secondary burn technology, I'm still a little concerned about what's happening to these gases and particles that are recycled or reburnt or whatever is the correct way of putting it. My main concern is that of the permanent air hole at my door handle. These gases seem to swirl around the stove and I'm worried that they might be swirling around in the direction of my gaping air hole and coming straight back out. But I suspect your previous reply answers this question, BobUrban. Do the same rules apply when considering these secondary gases? That is, that they could not escape through my air hole, owing to the negative pressure concept you previously explained, stating that the air flow is one way and one way only. Sorry to be harping on, it's just I'm really annoyed with this bloody inefficient stove and the possible safety issues!

Thanks for all your help. It's much appreciated.

Hard to tell from the pics, but is that gap consistent along the door? Or does the door edge touch the stove at the top/bottom? If it's the former, you should be able to adjust it (are you able to close the gap if you push the door closed?). If it's the latter, something may be warped--take a straight edge to the door and the stove edge and see. No, the secondary burn has nothing to do with the direction of air flow. Keep in mind that that gap isn't much different than just having your primary air control open. Like others said, I'd be more concerned about that stove getting too hot and not being able to control it. So no, the gaps aren't safe. And btw, that stove actually looks pretty efficient...

Reactions: daveywavey
The secondary burn and what is being burned was formerly going up the chimney on older model, less efficient stoves as "smoke". The gas is just smoke, vapor and some other stuff but really what the stove is doing is re-burning or actually burning smoke. If you can smell smoke in the house there is back flow. Now there are times like opening the door without opening the air etc. where a little smoke smell gets in the house but I am talking about continuous smoke smell and visual evidence during the burn.

For some peace of mind try holding a lighter near the door crack while the thing is swirling on the inside and see if the flame gets sucked in or pushed out. It will be sucked in and you will know the direction of flow.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
I see what you're getting at nola mike. The gap is not consistent all the way along the door. It's only at the handle side that it's not flush with the body of the stove. Starts out fine on the other side, and gradually comes away from the stove as it goes towards the door. It's almost like the door wasn't fitted properly, as I don't think the heat I'm generating would have warped it. I'll check the stove and doors with straight edges when I get home. Thanks.

Nice tip on holding a lighter close to the door BobUrban. It's put my mind at rest, so thanks for that.

What a great forum. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.