Firewood saw for a scrounger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firebuckeye

Nov 18, 2006
Hey guys,

Would like your oppinion on a good saw for myself. I burn maybe 4 cord a year. I have been scrounging wood and its all different diameters. Some already to length. I just want a good all around saw. Basically the saw you guys would never leave home with out. I have a husqvarna 141 now and feel its to small. I was thinking 359 or 357? Any input or comments would be great.

firebuckeye said:
Hey guys,

Would like your oppinion on a good saw for myself. I burn maybe 4 cord a year. I have been scrounging wood and its all different diameters. Some already to length. I just want a good all around saw. Basically the saw you guys would never leave home with out. I have a husqvarna 141 now and feel its to small. I was thinking 359 or 357? Any input or comments would be great.

The Husqvarna 359 and 357XP are awesome saws. I own a 359 and its a great mid size chainsaw with good grunt and will work very well with your Husky 141 , 141 for limbing and smaller stuff and the 359 / 357XP for the larger stuff.

Make sure you look into having PPE , chaps , helmet (cutting down trees) face shield , steel toe boots.

Am a longtime husky guy...but lately have been keeping an eye on the Dolmars...if you have a dealer close by it may be worth taking a look at...the 5100 something or other is getting alot of attention...

I dont know of any problems 359 but we have had some miner problems with the 357. They are both good strong saws.

firebuckeye said:
Do you know of any problems with the 359? Is the 357 worth the extra cash?

The big difference between the 359 and the 357xp is the 359 has a wider power band through its RPMs and the power in the 357XP is at its top range of RPM.

The RPM of the 359 is 13500 / Weight: 12.1 / 59cc / Power 3.9 hp / cat muffler

The RPM of the 357XP is 14000 / Weight: 12.1 / 56cc / power 4.4 hp / no cat muffler

I think the 357xp is worth the $$ but again , both are great saws. If your only going to have the Husky 141 and a choice of the other two i would go for the 357XP. If your looking to ALSO get a 70cc-80cc chainsaw in the future also ( 3 total) then the 359 would be a good mid range saw.

firebuckeye said:
says sold out? do you knowanything else about it.

Hummm , Give them a call , maybe there out for now or went up $20 . , Dont know . He is a dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.